Apple Pie Taquitos
Earlier in the year I made nutella strawberry taquitos and our kids loooooved them! With apple season coming so quickly I wanted to try a new version, apple pie taquitos!
Even though you’re using corn tortillas this dish can still end up sweet and wonderful. It’s all about the cinnamon sugar and cooking down those apples. You don’t want them to be mush, but trust me, too crunchy and the whole dish just isn’t awesome. You can cook them down in a pan or in the microwave, but just a little sugar and spice isn’t enough, add a touch of butter and let the magic happen. Of course ours is eaten with ice cream, but you can dip them in whipped cream if you prefer.
- 4-6 White Corn Tortillas
- Canola Oil for frying
- 1 Large Apple or 2 smaller
- 1½ Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Flour
- Cinnamon Sugar for rolling
- Ice Cream or Whipped Cream for Serving
- Peel and chop the apple and toss in a bowl with the sugar, cinnamon, flour and butter. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally or until tender.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook the tortillas on both sides until pliable. Fill the center of each tortilla with apples and roll up. Fry quickly, seam side down to start, rolling as needed to brown each side.
- Immediately roll in cinnamon sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.