BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Hi everyone! Des here from Life’s Ambrosia. Today marks my first day as a contributor here at Oh Sweet Basil and I’m so excited to be here and get to know all of you! I thought what better way to introduce myself then to share a recipe that showcases exactly how I like to cook. A recipe that is quick, easy, down to earth and not to mention, scrumptious. So today I brought with me the recipe for these BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.
In our household we like uncomplicated, straightforward, tummy pleasing food. With an almost 9 month old and a 3 year old it can’t take a lot of time to make either. That is where jazzing up the good ol’ fashioned grilled cheese comes in handy.
There are so many different ways to switch things up. I love a traditional cheddar but switching up the cheeses, adding veggies or meat takes grilled cheese to a whole other level. Turning a simple sandwich into a satisfying meal.
Take this BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese for instance. My three year old loves anything and everything BBQ. BBQ chips and anything dipped in or slathered in BBQ sauce. That got me thinking that a BBQ grilled cheese just might be the ultimate kid food.
But then I thought what about the adults in the household? That is where the pepper jack cheese, red onions and cilantro come in handy. None of them are so overpowering that a kid wouldn’t like them but they add just enough flavor to make these a crowd pleaser for adults too.
These have quickly become a favorite in our home and one try and I’m sure your family will love them too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ¼ medium red onion, sliced
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread
- 8 slices thick cut pepper jack cheese
- Heat olive oil in a a skillet over medium heat. Add in chicken and onion. Cook just until chicken is warmed through and onion has softened. Stir in BBQ sauce and cilantro. Mix well. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- To assemble a sandwich: Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Place one slice of cheese on the non-buttered side. Spoon ½ cup of chicken mixture on top. Place another piece of cheese on top of the chicken. Top with another slice of bread with the buttered side facing out. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.
- Cook sandwiches over medium heat 3 - 4 minutes each side or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Serve.