Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
Hi! Des from Life’s Ambrosia here and boy do I have a goodie for you. First a couple questions. Do you like brownies? Do you like strawberry ice cream? Do you like chocolate? If you answered yes you are going to fall head over heels in love with this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake. With a layer of brownie crust topped with strawberry ice cream, mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of chocolate ganache, this ice cream cake is pure bliss.
I can’t believe it is almost March already, but if you’ve been shopping lately, there is no denying that spring is on it’s way. And I cannot wait. I am ready for all things pink, all things Easter, asparagus and I am SO ready for all of the berries that are going to be hitting the grocery store shelves. And of all the berries I look forward too each year, strawberries are the front runner. I love them as a snack. I love them on top of cheesecake and I love them with chocolate.
My eagerness for spring and love of chocolate covered strawberries is what made me want to share this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake recipe with you today.
When I first made this I was just going to top the ice cream cake with chocolate chips and call it good.
But then I thought…MORE CHOCOLATE. And decided to top it with some homemade chocolate ganache.
My favorite thing about this ice cream cake is that it’s pretty easy to make. You bake a batch of brownies into the bottom of a springform pan, top it with ice cream and chocolate chips and then freeze it until it’s frozen. Finally, before serving drizzle the whole thing with homemade chocolate ganache. This is a show stopper of a dessert, without the work of a show stopper dessert.
Those are the best aren’t they?
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ gallon strawberry ice cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Once melted, mix in cocoa powder. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Whisk sugar into cocoa mixture. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in vanilla.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly whisk into the cocoa mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs on it.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cooling, place ice cream on the counter for 20 minutes to soften.
- Spread softened ice cream over brownies.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top and freeze until frozen, 4 hours or overnight.
- Slide a knife around cake to loosen it a bit from the pan. Carefully remove the outer ring of the springform pan.
- To make the ganache, heat heavy cream in the microwave for 30 seconds or just until steaming. Stir in chocolate chips. Allow to set for 1 minutes. Begin stirring and stir until smooth and shiny.
- Drizzle ganache over the cake, slice and serve.