One of our most popular recipes on the blog is our classic pesto (gotta love that a basil recipe is ranked so high for us, bahahaha) and how to store it. It’s easy, fresh and I really do think it is the absolute best recipe out there for pesto. We love it on pastas, in meatball paninis and even a quinoa bake with asparagus! So clearly it would be smart of us to play around with the flavors which is how we ended up with cilantro pesto.
And get ready because we are going to be sharing a few recipes that use the cilantro pesto over the next few months. Like a dip inspired by a friend that has 8 layers. Ohhhh mama!!
- 3 Cups Cilantro
- ¼ Cup Pine Nuts
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ¼ Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast until golden. Remove from heat to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, add the cilantro, pine nuts, olive oil, zest, juice and garlic. Pulse until a thick paste forms. Stir in the cheese and season to taste.
- Store in an airtight container with a little olive oil over the top and saran wrap pressed down against the pesto.
- Serve over veggies, pasta, or on sandwiches.