Deep Fried Strawberry Shortcakes
The most delicious dessert I’ve ever had, deep fried strawberry shortcakes that are rolled in cinnamon sugar and loaded with berries and fresh whipped cream
Deep Fried Strawberry Shortcakes
Have we ever talked about my love for strawberry shortcake? Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook has this recipe and our lemon strawberry shortcake. I love it that much I had to have two recipes in it, haha. So if that isn’t a hint enough to try it, TRY IT. But then I made this. Have mercy!! Fried strawberry shortcake is like the best day of your life, your first kiss, your wedding day and holding your first child for the first time (not the pregnancy or birth because heaven knows those aren’t easy) all wrapped into one. You guys, it’s DEEP FRIED STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES. Enough said?
Anyway, I told you in that post how Mom would make us strawberry shortcake with fresh berries and those little, round shortcakes (remember how they would leave a little cake on the cardboard and you could scrape it off and lick your fingers?), but did I tell you about the rest of the meal? Mom is a total sucker for fried chicken. Often we would go to the grocery store and they would be pumping out that fried chicken smell. We’d make it clear to the front door and then she would say, fried chicken and strawberry shortcake for dinner?
If only you could have seen our faces. HECK YES! It didn’t happen very often but when it was a go we were the best behaved kids ever through that entire grocery shopping trip just to make sure we wouldn’t risk her changing her mind. And yes, it was grocery store fried chicken, but back then it was seen as awesome that places were trying to help moms get dinner on the table and not at all gross that it was probably frozen fried chicken reheated.
And now I’m suddenly homesick for a warm summer day, a huge backyard to put out dinner on picnic tables and my family chowing down on fried chicken and strawberry shortcake. Looks like I know what I’m making on Sunday for dinner!
Deep Fried Donuts
This recipe uses canned biscuits made into deep fried donuts. You can use the flaky layers or southern, both work fine but the layers puff up the most. If you’re nervous about the centers being done, no worries, just cut out the donut holes like you would in a regular donut.
The Secret To Strawberry Shortcake
I wont keep you any longer but make sure you take a minute to read our secret on the strawberries. It’s one simple thing that really does make for an extra delicious dessert. We chat about it in our Fool Proof Angel Food Cake recipe.
- 1 package Pillsbury Biscuits, separated into 8 biscuits
- Peanut or canola oil for frying
- ¾ cup Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar, or to taste
- 1-2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1-2 tablespoon sugar
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat filled ⅓ full of oil.
- Separate the 8 biscuits again making 16.
- Add the strawberries and sugar into a dish, stir and set aside. Read more in our fool proof angel food cake post.
- Drop in a couple of biscuits at a time, frying for about 30-60 seconds, turning once, then remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Place the cinnamon sugar in a dish and while the fried dough is still warm, roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
- Meanwhile, whisk (or I use our kitchenaid whisk attachment) the cream until soft peaks form, add the powdered sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, top the cinnamon sugar biscuit with whipped cream and berries, or double decker it as shown in the photo.
A light and lemony take on the traditional strawberry shortcake