Cheesy Pan Fried Tortellini
This is one of our favorite dinners, cheesy pan fried tortellini. My husband made up the recipe and it looks almost too simple, but it’s delicious!
My husband introduced me to cheesy pan fried tortellini when we first got married and since then we have changed it up a little and it is seriously one of our favorite quick meals. However, I have two requirements with this dish when my hubs makes it.
First, Cade likes his pasta really soft. It’s too soft. He overcooks it. Don’t worry, we have never argued about it, but I am just saying, don’t overcook the pasta. I promise it makes a huge difference. Sorry Cade, mushy pasta is one thing we wont agree on. 😉 You may have taught me cheesy pan fried tortellini, but I’m determined to cook that pasta until al dente.
Second, once the pasta is added to the veggies keep the heat on med-high so the tortellini can start to crisp up on the edges. A little browning action on the pasta. You will thank me later. This is why we prefer to use our favorite Lodge Cast Iron Pan. Nonstick pans are wonderful, but a cast iron or stainless pan will allow your food to caramelize which creates far more flavor.
My absolute favorite part about this dish is that you can change it to fit your cravings or to fit what you have available.
When you saute vegetables make sure you’re being mindful on how long each ingredient takes to turn tender and start to brown around the edges. Those carrots and peppers are going to need way more time than the sun-dried tomatoes so don’t add everything all at once. Start with the veggies that need longer in the pan and add more as you cook.
Once the veggies are cooked, and the pasta is soft, add it all together in a big pan, a little more olive oil if needed and cook until the pasta starts to brown a little. Once that has happened, grab the mozzarella and dump in the cheese, stirring until gooey. Mmmmm, I love gooey just as much as I love this pan fried tortellini, and I couldn’t help but pin this Cream Cheese Chicken Tortellini Bake for our next tortellini dinner. It looks so good!
Cheesy Pan Fried Tortellini
- 1 16 ounce Container Fresh Tortellini * see note
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup julienned sweet peppers or bell peppers
- 1 Large Carrot, sliced thin
- ½ Cup Mushrooms, sliced
- ½ Cup Oil packed Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Thawed Peas
- 1-2 tablespoonsOlive Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- Heat a skillet with 1 tb oil to med-med high and toss in the garlic. Let the garlic cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the carrots and cook until tender. Add the peppers and mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, get some water boiling in a pot and add the pasta. Tortellini actually cooks rather quickly so keep an eye on it. It all will be floating at the top.
- Drain the pasta and add to the veggies. Usually we have to add a little more oil. Cook until the tortellini begins to brown and the flavors combine.
- Add mozzarella, toss everything and serve!
Add any veggies that you like. We love sweet peppers, peas, mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, etc. Make sure you cook harder vegetables like carrots before you add quick cooking veggies like peppers.
All you need is one skillet, a few fresh ingredients and soon enough you’ll have20 minute creamy sun dried tomato chicken pasta for dinner.
this post contains affiliate links