Grilled Kefir Chicken
Have you ever heard of Kefir? I’ve been trying out different products from Redwood Hill Farm and one of our favorites is the Kefir products. Particularly the mango orange pineapple kefir. Mango is a one of the greatest fruits ever in my opinion, like frozen mango dessert, and frozen mango yogurt, so give me the chance to include it in dinner and I’m all over it. Thankfully the sweet people at Redwood Hill Farm were kind enough to send us some to try and this gorgeous Mango Orange Pineapple Chili Chicken was born.
We are on our last stretch before school starts and I feel like I am running around with my head cut off. I hate how much work it is to get school supplies, clothes, schedules, meet the teachers etc all the last few weeks before school. I’d much rather be living up these last few weeks, but instead we find ourselves running all over town and spending ridiculous amounts of money. Thankfully I bought a few things throughout the ear as they went on sale last year like, a new backpack, lunch box and a few supplies. WOOHOO!! And I will admit that there’s something in the air as school begins again. It’s like magic. Do any of you love seeing the supplies, the smell of the pencils and that sudden surge through the air?
One thing I don’t really want to mess with right now is dinner. I just want something easy and delicious so that we can go see a movie, play at the park or whatever since we don’t have much time left. This chicken recipe is a little sweet, spicy, cheesy and smoky (due to the grilling) all in one. It’s easy and requires only whisking, grilling and occasional brushing of the sauce on the chicken. It’s healthier too! Kefir originated from 2000 years ago and is similar to a drinkable yogurt. It’s funny actually, when I was studying with a book on the Women of the Old Testament (such an incredible book with so much history about how people lived back then) I read about a goats milk that was put in animal skins at the doors of tents and that’s what they drank because it didn’t go bad and now here we are, 2000 years later bringing it back to life, minus animal skins (thank heavens!) Anyway, probiotics are so good for us and this is a great substitute for milk, buttermilk etc in recipes.
Grilled Kefir Chicken
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- ½ Cup Mango Orange Pineapple Kefir
- Juice of one lime
- 2 Tablespoons Red Chili Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Heat a grill to high heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the kefir, lime juice, red chili sauce and honey. Place the chicken on the grill and turn the heat down to medium. Allow to cook for about 5-6 minutes and turn over, brushing the cooked side with the marinade. Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is white all the way through, basting with marinade every minute or so. Sprinkle with cheese the last minute and close the lid to allow the cheese to melt.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 2-4 minutes, then slice and serve!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.