Healthy Chili Lime Chicken Tostadas
Crisp tostadas, juicy marinated chicken grilled to perfection and fresh avocado to make you swoon. These healthy chili lime chicken tostadas are a must make for #TacoTuesday.
You guys crack us up. We have such an overwhelming request for more family friendly healthy recipes, but what gets pinned and shared the most, heck even viewed the most on the blog is gooey, cheesy, chocolaty goodness. In other words, all things that would make you bust out the fat pants instead of the skinny jeans.
So here’s what you’re telling me, you want to be summer ready, healthy, fit and feelin’ good so you’re working on finding healthier recipes, but you want to stare at carbs, cheese and chocolate all day long. Am I right?
Well this is a good meet ya in the middle. We marinated the chicken so it would be packed with flavor and nice and juicy. We added some fire grilled peppers, cool and creamy avocados and a bit of bite from a nice and zesty salsa. Then we piled it all on top of corn tortillas that were fried up in a bit of coconut oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt so the tostadas were crisp but not as unhealthy as they could be.
So there ya go, still cheese involved, something fried, but overall a much healthier dish so you can meet your goals. And don’t worry, you can even take it a step further by brushing the tortillas with the oil and baking them off. Woop der it is! 😉
- 6-9 Corn Tortillas
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- 3 Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice (fresh is best!)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Avocado, chopped
- Fresh Salsa
- ⅓ Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Cilantro for garnish
- Limes for garnish
- In a ziploc, combine the marinade and add the chicken. Close the bag and squish the bag a few times.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Marinate for 2 hours or the entire day.
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Brush with oil soaked paper towel. Place the chicken on the grill and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes with foil gently placed over the top on a plate. Do not wrap the foil.
- Meanwhile, toss the peppers in a little oil and place on the hot grill, turning every few minutes or until charcoal spots appear. Remove and slice, getting rid of the seeds.
- In a skillet over medium high heat. Add the coconut oil and heat to a shimmer. Add the tortillas one at a time and fry on each side about 1 minute or until golden. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
- Place chicken, peppers, avocado, cheese and salsa on each tostada. Garnish with a little cilantro and squeeze of lime juice. Serve immediately.