One-Pot Vegetables and Lentil Recipe
Hi! This is Suzy from The Mediterranean Dish. I am so honored to be with my friend Carrian and all of you here at Oh Sweet Basil today!
When it comes to making dinner, there is really no shortage of places from which to glean inspiration; an endless supply of creative ideas and trendy foods surrounds me! Yet, I so often find myself going to simple dinners from my childhood. Recipes that are hearty and unfussy, like today’s one-pot vegetable and lentil recipe.
This one is pretty much straight from my mother’s Mediterranean kitchen. It’s the kind of dinner people of the Mediterranean, where I grew up, call a “poor man’s pot.” But it’s every bit a vibrant, healthy and satisfying meal.
This lentil recipe is one of those versatile go-to family meals. It starts with lots of vegetables, then come the green lentils which cook fairly quickly but still hold their shape. Because spring is upon us, I added zucchini squash to my usual carrot, potato, celery combination. But you can use a different summer squash; bell peppers; or even asparagus–make it as colorful as you like!
To bring it all together, I used a couple of my favorite earthy Mediterranean spices–cumin works incredibly well with lentils, by the way–along with fresh parsley and a splash of fresh lime juice.
Here is today’s one-pot vegetable and lentil recipe.
- 1 ½ cups green lentils
- Olive Oil
- 1 zucchini squash, diced
- 1 bulk carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 russet potato, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 ½ cup water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, stems removed
- Lime wedges to serve
- Bread to serve
- Place the lentils in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 15 minutes or so.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot. Add the onions, garlic and vegetables. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened (about 5-7 mins).
- Stir in the lentils, salt and pepper and the remaining spices. Then add the tomatoes and water.
- Bring everything to a boil for 5 mins, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low; cover and let simmer for 20 mins or until the vegetables and lentils are cooked to tender.
- Taste and adjust the spices to your liking.
- Serve hot with your favorite crusty bread or some warm pita! Enjoy