Pina Colada Protein Shake
One of the most asked questions I receive is how I maintain my weight as a food blogger, and I pretty much never know how to answer it. Well, I do, but I never know if people are really that curious or if they are just teasing. Well, after receiving the 5 millionth email that mentions it I decided to use this pina colada protein shake to get jiggy with it, or real, or whatever you would like to say.
Any Jose Conseco, here’s the deal, if this is not something you care about just go ahead and scroll down to the recipe. If you’ve been curious whether you’ve emailed to ask or not here’s a few FAQ’s that frequent my inbox.
*Do you have an eating disorder or issues with body image?
A: No, I have never had an eating disorder. Ever. Though I’ve known a few to struggle with that and it breaks my heart. I blame society. For real. And actually, it hurts my feelings a little when such things are mentioned. Do I look sick? Do I seem like I’m struggling with that? No, I don’t have any body image issues. I actually am really happy with my body. It may not be perfectly toned and some areas could use a little fat 😉 but I feel like this is the way I was made and I’m healthy so what more could I want?
*Why are you so thin if you’re a food blogger? Do you not really eat the food?!
A: Oh sister, I eat the food. Trust me, I’m snacking on sprinkle brownies as I type. I have a crazy fast metabolism thanks to Hypothyroidism. Yes, it’s hypo, not hyper. Did you know that you can have flip flop weight issues with that? Generally hypo gains weight while mine manifests as losing weight. Anyway, it’s one of those blessings and a curse. Is it nice to have a fast metab? Sure, but it stinks too. If my dose is off I’m freezing alllll the time, I’m so exhausted I feel like I’m running marathons and can’t stop, and if it’s really off I feel down and moody which if you’ve ever felt depressed you know just how not fun it is to live in darkness.
A Part II: Well, I kind of answered why I’m thin above, but here’s the rest of it. I take care of myself. I am a HUGE believer in putting good things into your body. Tired a lot? Eat better. Done. I’m all about protein, lots of fruits and veggies, smart choices, limiting my sugar during the week and I work out 4-5 times a week in the morning. Workout are NOT about losing weight for me. They never have been. It’s about taking care of this incredible machine that I’ve been given. I know it sounds cheesy and I’ll fully admit that it even sounds annoying, but I actually come from a family that struggles with weight (remember how my sister lost almost 100 pounds). I feel like a workout is really just me showing my body appreciation for all it does every day and I want that to keep happening so I’m investing in my future.
*Are you one of those annoying people that just eats desserts all the time and never gains weight?
A: Ahhhh, now that’s a good question. You may see a whole week of desserts, but I am not eating them as I post them. I make a treat and then schedule the post out in the future, so sometimes multiple come up in a week. Sometimes I’ll also make a few at a time and then we invite friends over to enjoy them with us. I get it all done in one day without gorging all by myself.
Alright, so it’s healthy during the week and a treat one day, usually on the weekend. And guess what, the less you have sugar the less you crave it. Promise.
* Do you have any rules you set for yourself and food?
A: I sure do, but I’m not an expert so you are not allowed to come back and tell me my ideas are the worst.
1. Protein at least twice a day
2. Variety of fruits and veggies at every meal
3. No carbs after lunch. Truth. My body just doesn’t do as well at night with carbs in me. That doesn’t mean it’s true for you.
4. Water, milk, coconut milk or almond milk. You’ll never see me drink anything else. And really, it’s almost always water. All day every day.
5. Healthy snack at least 3 times a day (I get up at 5:45 and am in bed by 10:15) such as, raw almonds, carrots, protein bar, green protein shake, string cheese, fruits, frozen bananas, or a spoonful of peanut butter (what?! You know you do it too)
6. NEVER skip a meal or a snack. Eating the right things all day keeps my metabolism active and me full so I don’t overeat.
7. Great portions. I see bloggers sometimes post a pic of sliced sweet potatoes on the grill, or 1/4 smashed avocado on a tiny piece of bread and call that a meal. NO. It’s not a meal and it’s sending the wrong message to readers. Sorry my friends, but your body needs food to survive and tiny portions, even of really healthy options is still not a healthy decision. I try to make sure I eat enough instead of over or under eating.
Now let’s get back to that pina colada protein shake.
- 8 ounces Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Frozen Pineapple
- 2 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and serve immediately.