Hoisin Pork and Cucumber Pitas
Last weekend Cade and some friends ran the RAGNAR!!! WOOHOO!! Clearly it was a tad hot out. These girls were so good to make it through the heat.
This one wanted to make a little sign all by herself. As you can see, we are working on spelling. That will improve in Kindergarten next year.
The man was/is crazy. He ran all of the “very hard legs” and never walked. We finally saw him coming in and don’t worry, he’s sprinting! I definitely do not understand running. I’d much rather lift weights. Or eat cake. (Let’s be honest)
But moving right along, today is C’s first BIRTHDAY!!! I officially stopped nursing yesterday and so far so good. I can finally eat again!! A year of no dairy, nut products, bananas, rice, soy, chocolate, broccoli or beans was too much! Tonight we are celebrating her birthday and a dairy party where I’ll gorge on all the things I’ve been missing. WOOT WOOT!!! Can you believe it’s been a year? One year ago today I was in a hospital. CRAZY!
C is such a sweetheart. She says, Momma, Dadda, Uh-oh, dog, and doggy. She is OBSESSED with doggies. She is trying to be a better sleeper. She still wakes at 5:45, but I’m not nursing so hopefully she will get the hint that she needs to wait and cut this out! She’s not walking yet, but she is still in 3-6 month clothes so maybe she is still too little..
We love her and we are so very aware of how blessed we are that we could bring her into this world.
Ok, food time!
These are so crazy simple, but they are so delicious. The hoisin sauce is so yummy with that cool cucumber. It’s perfect for this hot, sweaty summer!
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 pitas, halved
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the cucumbers and jalapeño and let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pork, breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the hoisin, ginger, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Fill the pita halves with the pork, tomatoes and cucumber salad.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.