Quinoa Stuffed Peppers Soup
Remember how I instagrammed about the stuffed peppers quinoa casserole that turned out really yummy and then ended up making the leftovers into a soup which I didn’t expect to turn out awesome so I didn’t photograph it? Well, we all know it did turn out awesome and I promised to recreate it for all of you who were dying to get the recipe, but then I forgot and the quinoa stuffed peppers soup slipped into the past. Until now that is…
I finally remembered to buy peppers so I could recreate the recipe! Can I get a hip hooray for actually going to the grocery and returning with something I needed! A friend of mine and I were just talking about how we need to be better at making lists. I seem to make so many mental notes of things that I need and then occasionally jot down a few specific items that I know I wouldn’t normally need that I forget to take the time to just write down a big, fat list for myself. I head off to the store and return with things I needed, didn’t even go there at all for and end up without a few things I did in fact need.
Is anyone else a horrible list maker like me? Why can’t I just put a grocery pad on the fridge and mark things as they come to mind? I tried that for like a month and it worked awesome and then nada. I completely stopped doing it for no reason other than I just forgot and slowly but surely I forgot about the idea entirely.
And the worst part about forgetting peppers for this dish is that I would sometimes buy them and then use them in other things only to later have the soup come to mind after I’d used them all, doh! Maybe this year I should actually make a New Year’s resolution for the first time ever and start making lists and checking it twice… oh shoot and now I’ve become Santa Clause.
- ½ pound Italian Sausage
- 3 bell peppers, any colors, seeded and sliced thin
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1¾ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Break off small, about the size of your thumbnail, pieces of ground sausage and roll into a ball, repeating for all the meat. Set aside
- In a large stainless steel pan, add a small drizzle of olive oil. Heat to medium heat, add the sausage and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to brown on all sides occasionally. Remove to a saucepan set off to the side.
- Quickly add another drizzle of olive oil and add the peppers and onions to the pan. Give them a stir to pick up any browned bits from the sausage and coat with oil, adding more if the pan is dry. Allow the peppers and onions to cook for about 30-40 minutes or until tender and caramelized, turning the pan to medium low if they are cooking too fast. Add to the saucepan.
- Heat the saucepan to medium heat and add the quinoa, chicken broth, milk, mustard, tomatoes and cheeses. Allow to cook for 30 minutes then season to taste with salt. Turn to low and allow to barely simmer until you're ready to eat. The soup becomes more flavorful with time so you could always add it all to the slow cooker on low for a few hours.