Reese’s Mississippi Mud Bites
I’ve been trying out this new, kid friendly recipe on everyone that I can think of, young and old and it has gotten rave reviews so I knew I just had to share it with you! Everyone needs a fun recipe that they can make with the kids to deliver to neighbors and take to fun holiday parties, but more importantly they need a recipe that is quick and easy because take it from me it can get really stressful and exhausting hanging out in the kitchen and slaving over the oven. It’s just not worth it. Instead, get the kids involved, have fun and make something totally gooey and delicious with half the work! And although they are really similar to these Reese’s Marshmallow bars I think this version is much more fun for the kids.
A long, long time ago I posted about marshmallow cookies, and then I did a guest post over at Is This Really My Life about them and how I learned who I was and what mattered most through being picked on. Years later I discovered something called Mississippi Mud Brownies or bars. Good crap those things are good. Have you had them? How had I not had them my whole life?! And how could I not make a kicked up version that’s totally popable so you can easily eat more and more?
My kids see marshmallows and they are instantly sold. And I mean, SOLD. Our youngest was not thrilled by the idea of sweet potatoes the first time I made them. She sat on the stool next to me utterly disgusted until I pulled out the marshmallows. By the end of dinner she didn’t even need the marshmallows. She totally loved the sweet potatoes alone. But let’s not try adding sugar to everything to get a kid to like it.
Those marshmallows were all carefully placed by our 7 year old and 3 year old. And I’ve never seen anyone so giddy about a dessert before. We all are Reese’s aholics, yes that’s a thing. I made it up, but it’s now a thing. Anyway, we love Reese’s so that already had everyone over the top excited.
Whoever thought up the whole chocolate peanut butter combination is a genius. In fact, whoever thought up peanut butter is my hero. I love that creamy goodness. That’s right, creamy, not crunchy. It’s probably why I love scotcheroos chex mix too. Peanut butter chocolate heaven. Tell me I’m not alone in this!
Reese’s Mississippi Mud Bites
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- ¾ Cup Butter, melted
- ⅓ Cup Evaporated Milk
- ½ Bag Large marshmallows, cut in half
- 1½ bags mini Reese's Peanut butter cups
- 2½ Cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, softened butter
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa
- up to 1 tablespoon heavy cream if too thick
- pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, butter and evaporated milk. Spoon into a greased mini muffin tin, about ¾ full. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until almost completely set. Remove from the oven and press in a reese's and top with half a marshmallow. Place back in the oven for an additional 2 to 3 minutes being careful to watch the marshmallows. Allow to cool and frost.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa, salt and heavy cream until smooth but still stiff. Frost the brownies and enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.