Skinny Strawberry Shortcake Gluten Free Pancakes
Phew! I don’t know why I feel the need to make such ridiculously long titles, see Maple Pecan Blondies with White Chocolate Butter Sauce, and California Steak Burrito with Grilled Zucchini and Smoky Crema. But both recipes are some of our favorites so it’s worth the mouthful. I totally would try a new name on these skinny strawberry shortcake gluten free pancakes, but I’m always trying to get as much information into the title as possible. This recipe is part of our partnership with Fisher Nuts so a big thank you to them!
For example, these pancakes all started because of our famous Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes and the gobs of emails we started receiving asking for gluten free pancakes, healthy pancakes, and more. Since we were already working with Fisher Nuts we thought this would be the perfect fit for testing out a gluten free pancake recipe that happens to be a skinny recipe as well.
The hard part is drawing in the attention of the world to know that you just busted out a dang good recipe that happens to taste like strawberry shortcake too. I mean, it’s no lemon strawberry shortcakes or DEEP FRIED STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE and you’ll need to remember that these are not packed full of buttermilk and flour so don’t go in expecting the normal strawberry shortcake pancake, but they are still awesome and after all of our pancake testing over the years I can honestly tell you that they are totally in our rotation. They may not be so fluffy you could pad your bra with them, but they have the perfect flavor so just go for it! The kids will never know which is the best part!
The important thing to remember in this recipe is you MUST process the almonds with oats and a little sugar so that it doesn’t turn into almond butter. I prefer to use the Fisher sliced almonds so it blends up super fine. In fact, I blend up a large batch and then just scoop out a cup for every batch I make. I have never stored it for more than 2 weeks and I store the “flour” in the fridge. Hope that helps!
- ¼ Cup Fisher Nuts Sliced Almonds
- ¾ Cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Almond Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- In a blender, pulse the almonds, oats and sugar until a fine powder is produced. Do not over mix or it will heat up or became a paste like substance.
- Add all remaining ingredients and blend until all ingredients are mixed. Do not over mix.
- Lightly butter or grease a griddle over medium heat. Pour ⅓ cup scoops onto the griddle and cook for a minute or two or until the bubbles form on top. Flip and cook again until set. Serve with fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream (heavy cream whipped until soft peaks begin to form, add powdered sugar a little at a time while beating until peaks form and the mixture is lightly sweetened.)