Spice Cake with Maple Frosting
Have you ever walked into a house that smells like the holidays? I had this friend growing up that every time we went to her house once fall hit it smelled like she was always cooking up something full of spices and it was all kinds of amazing. That’s what this spice cake with maple frosting is like.
It’s warm, soft, crumb is lovely but the spices with that sweet maple frosting is what’s really a kicker. It is fantastic! It’s based off of my mom’s cookie cake which if you haven’t had that, well get on it! Even if you don’t think you like spice cake, or cake in general, you will love this one.
There’s a splash of apple cider which adds a new depth of flavor without tasting like apple at all. Although if you like apple like we do, I INSIST you try our apple butter sheet cake with brown butter apple frosting. It’s soooo yum! And the maple frosting, yeah I could eat it by the spoonful. And maybe we did just that…
- ½ Cups Water
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- ¼ Cup Butter, melted
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2½-3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1½ Teaspoons Maple Extract
- Heat oven to 350
- Pour the water and apple cider into a large glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave until hot. Dissolve the baking soda in the mixture.
- Mix the shortening and sugar and then add the egg and mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and spices.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the soda water in a standing mixer. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add the vanilla and pour into a 9x13" baking pan that is coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until springy.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. While still warm, top with frosting.
- Using a handheld mixer, mix the frosting ingredients until smooth and frost the cake.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.