Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry
Hi guys it’s Des from Life’s Ambrosia here again. If you’re like me, the weeknights are crazy busy and taking the time to plan out and make a delectable dinner can be a real challenge. That is why this month I’ve brought with me a quick and easy dinner that is perfect for the busiest of weeknights: Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry.
Stir fries are one of my favorite go to meals for just about any night of the week. They come together so quickly and are a great way to sneak plenty of veggies into your dinner. This stir-fry is loaded with green bell peppers, red bell peppers and onions because that is what it comes with when I order it at my favorite Thai restaurant. You could, of course, add whatever kind of veggies you like. Broccoli would be great. So would baby bok choy or shelled edamame and mushrooms. Just make sure that whatever you add you add it by how long the vegetables will take to cook.
The inspiration for this Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry, came from many a dinners out at Thai restaurants. Whenever we would go to our favorite Thai restaurant, I would always, always, always, opt for anything with Thai basil. I try so hard to order something different. I browse the menu for several minutes. I consider Pad Thai or Pad See Ew or a variety of curries. But I always end up choosing the Thai Basil Stir Fry. For one reason: the Thai Basil. When compared to the more commonly used sweet basil, Thai basil is much more fragrant and has a kind of licorice-basil flavor. It is excellent in stir frys, friends. Excellent.
I did take a little bit of liberty when I made this at home and decided to add a fried egg to it.
The yolk spills out perfectly over the top of the stir fry and rice adding another dimension of creaminess to the sauce. I suppose you could leave it off if you’re not into the whole yolky goodness kind of thing.
But really…you should be 🙂
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 10 - 15 Thai basil leaves
- non-stick spray
- 4 eggs
- Cooked Jasmine rice
- Whisk together fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce and garlic together in a bowl. Toss sliced steak to coat completely.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook peppers and onions just until softened slightly, about 2 minutes. Add in steak and marinade. Cook until steak is cooked through, about 2 - 3 more minutes. Turn heat to low to keep warm and stir in Thai basil.
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray and cook eggs just until the egg white is set but the yolk is still runny.
- Spoon rice into a bowl, spoon stir fry over the top and top with fried egg. Serve.
Connect with Des:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.