Vegetarian Quinoa Skillet
Packed full of veggies and flavor, this vegetarian quinoa skillet is perfect for meatless Monday!
Cade and I are meat eaters. The girls, well they are young girls so they are bird eaters unless it’s cookies or candy. However, that being said Cade and I have always tried to eat meat sparingly, or in other words not a steak every single night. Or even chicken to be honest. Which was a change from how I grew up and probably most of you too. We always had a meat, veggie and potatoes or rice. I guess pasta occasionally popped in there but not as often as the others. Now, I’m all about balance but for us balance also means having some nights that are all about the veggies. 2-3 times a week we have a lightened up dinner and before you go thinking we are awesome let me tell you why we aren’t perfect at it.
Sometimes meatless nights are just because I’m tired and so it’s a BFD, Breakfast for Dinner night. Or thanks to Dave and Sarah, popcorn and smoothies (we do green protein shakes if that helps). Again, it’s really just that those two are so easy, not necessarily Vegetarian meals.
But we also do it the right way. Things like our Polenta Enchilada Vegetarian Lasagna. This vegetarian quinoa skillet is for you to consider doing the same. I honestly think it’s helped us be healthier and have healthy weights. No really. Give it a try, even if all you do is meatless Monday every week. Let us know how it goes for one week and I guarantee you’ll start feeling healthier and lighter.
- 1 Sweet Potato, chopped
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash, chopped
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- Zest of One Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Broccoli, steamed
- 2 Cups Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, Sliced
- ½ Cup Craisins
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add the veggies and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the veggies and pat dry. Add a drizzle of olive oil and add the veggies back into the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, now toss to coat. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat or until tender. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the chicken stock, lemon juice, zest and quinoa. Bring to a boil and then turn to low and place a lid on the quinoa. Allow to cook for 15 minutes and then remove from heat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa. Set aside.
- Heat the skillet back to medium heat, add the veggies, quinoa, broccoli, and tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add the craisins and season to taste. Serve immediately, room temperature or cold. Even better the next day!