It’s Speck week on Sweet Basil! I’m contributing to Caputo’s, so make sure you check out the old time favorite recipe that inspired this asparagus and egg crostini dish and give lots of love!
I love a great crostini. I love that you can have a yummy piece of bread, but top it with something delicious and suddenly it looks gourmet without any real work. This asparagus and egg crostini is beautiful, and absolutely delicious. This crostini is the best because of the Speck.
Speck. I know, it sounds like I’m talking about a speck of dirt or something, but Speck is one of the most amazing parts of this dish.
Speck is a type of Prosciutto, like a bacon in a way. Trust me, it is worth getting the Speck for this dish. It’s super thin, smoked and it melts in your mouth. I’m not kidding. It is that tender and wonderful.
*Here in Utah, I prefer to buy the House Speck at Caputo’s Market in SLC. It’s super easy to find as it’s located off of 3rd and 3rd in downtown SLC. Trust me, it’s the best Speck in the area. I say, if you’re in Salt Lake shopping or whatever, swing by Caputo’s and grab the House Speck. There are so many different dishes that you can use it in and I know you will fall in love. Hello, if you love bacon you will die for Speck. It’s that worth it.
If you don’t live in Utah, or you’re too far from Caputo’s I would recommend purchasing from Caputo’s Online. See, I wasn’t kidding how important it is. I’d even meet ya at Caputo’s and help you buy the stuff if you were here.
What Is Crostini?
Crostini is an appetizer that is of Italian origin.
Crostini consists of small pieces of toasted or fried bread served with a topping.
The toppings may include a variety of different cheeses, meats, and vegetables, or may be presented more simply with a brush of olive oil and herbs or a sauce.
Is It Safe To Eat Soft Cooked Eggs?
Eating soft-cooked eggs is safe.
Thoroughly cooking an egg kills all the harmful bacteria; “partially” cooking an egg means that some harmful bacteria may survive which could cause illness.
However, the risk of an egg being contaminated is quite low.
What Kind Of Bread Do You Use For Crostini?
Crostini is typically made with baguette or country-style Italian bread.
Asparagus and Egg Crostini
Asparagus and Egg Crostini
- 1 Baguette sliced
- Olive Oil
- 12-24 Slices Speck depending on size of bread and how much you want on each
- 1 Bundle Asparagus
- 1 Dozen Eggs
- Fresh Basil chopped
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Black pepper
- Heat your grill to high heat, or your oven to broil.
- Drizzle the bread slices with olive oil and place directly on the grill or on a pan under the broiler.
- Cook until grill marks appear, or they begin to turn golden.
- Place on a cutting board and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 425 and place the asparagus on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, I tend to cook mine until the little ends are crispy.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Drizzle a little oil in the pan and add 2 eggs (this depends on the size of your pan how many you can do at a time. I like room in case it spreads and room to flip the eggs so I make 2 at a time).
- Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, leaving the centers thickened but not cooked through.
- Place a little speck, asparagus, and egg on each crostini.
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper, then top with fresh basil.
Other Recipes That You May Want To Check Out:
Crostini With Ricotta and Pea Shoots- Taste Food Blog
Bacon And Egg Crostini-Little Spatula
Vegetarian Smashed Cauliflower and Roasted Asparagus Sandwich-White On Rice Couple