This baked ziti isn’t the healthiest recipe in my recipe box, but it sure is delicious. Sometimes I use Chicken sausage & lowfat cream cheese to make myself feel better, but this time I made the original in all it’s fattiness. I can’t wait to eat the leftovers for lunch today! I also like this recipe because it’s very flexible. You can use whatever vegetables you like or have on hand. Oh yeah, you may notice a discrepancy in the picture. I didn’t have any ziti, so I used small shells. haha
Is Ziti Pasta?
Ziti is a type of pasta shape.
Ziti is a pretty common pasta shape in most areas, but you can substitute penne pasta if you can’t find it.
Is Italian Sausage Made From Pork?
In America Italian sausage most often refers to a style of pork sausage.
Italian sausage is often noted for being seasoned with fennel.
Italian sausage ranges from sweet to hot or spicy.
Are Mushrooms Good For You?
Mushrooms are a good source of B vitamins.
They contain niacin, which is good for the digestive system and for maintaining healthy skin.
Mushrooms also contain riboflavin is good for red blood cells.
- 8 oz ziti
- 3 Hot Italian Sausages
- 1 Zucchini or Yellow Summer Squash, diced
- 3-4 Small Mushrooms, diced
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Can Italian Style Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons Butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese (I like a mixture of Mozzarella & Parmesan)
- Cook the pasta until just before al dente stage, as it will cook further when you bake it.
- Slice the sausage, or remove from the casings if desired.
- Brown the sausage and set aside. You can either use the juice from the sausage or olive oil to saute the veggies (including garlic).
- Add the sausage and tomatoes and the Italian seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter, and oregano.
- Add this mixture to the pan, stirring until it melts in.
- Carefully stir in the pasta.
- Top with cheese and bake 10 min. in 400 degree oven.
*I like to use a pan that is oven safe for a one pot meal. If you don't have an oven safe frying pan, then you will need to dump the mixture into a casserole dish before baking it.*
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 3111 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 516.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 228.1g Fiber: 22.9g Sugar: 39.8g Protein: 111.5g