I love this time of year!!! Hooray for being grateful for our father’s, our country and the beautiful sunshine that at least in Utah will be gone before we know it. And let’s be honest, I stinking adore summer food so that’s awesome. Fruit pizza was one of my favorites growing up and while I have yet to make Mom’s awesome fruit pizza for the site I did listen to your requests about easy red white and blue desserts as well as an easy to make pie for the holidays and I think this berry fruit pizza pie is exactly what you all need.
I love hearing from my readers and we’ve been really lucky to have great communication with all of you. We’ve had soooo many emails about red, white and blue desserts as well the frustrations with failed pies that Cade and I set out to find a full proof dessert for you. Cade had the genius idea that if we used a Pillsbury pie crust like we do with the scraps of pie crust when we make it ourselves we could create one dessert that fits all of those requests. Do you do that? Use the scraps of pie crust to make little cinnamon sugar treats to munch on?
Growing up I would lollygag in the kitchen just waiting for those pie pieces. I can still taste those things! Unfortunately you wont have any to munch on this time, but the good news is your entire dessert will taste like the ultimate pie crisp! Plus, for all of you that have expressed concern about having your pies turn out pretty you don’t even have to worry because this one is baked like a pizza and tastes like a pie! Boo-yah.
The berry filling is thickened on the stove and put on the crust after it’s baked so there’s no chance of boiling over or stressing the day of. You can make everything the day before and assemble for serving! Perfection! And don’t worry if you don’t want blackberries, you can totally use raspberries or blueberries instead!
Berry Fruit Pizza Pie
Berry Fruit Pizza Pie
- 1 Pillsbury Pie Crust
- Cinnamon Sugar
- 1 16 oz package of blackberries
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 granny smith apple, peeled and grated
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1-3 cups of sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out the pie dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over medium heat, add the blackberries, flour, sugar, cinnamon and apple.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from the heat to cool.
- Carefully spread the berry mixture over the pie crust pushing it out towards the edges without actually reaching the edges.
- Next, top with the fresh whipped cream and decorate with the berries!
You can make your own fresh whipped cream by whipping heavy cream until stiff peaks form then adding powdered sugar until sweetened and stiff peaks have formed, or use cool whip.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 253 Calories
- Total Fat: 11.1g
- Cholesterol: 11.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 37.4g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Sugar: 15.4g
- Protein: 2.8g