Today was a long one, but ended on such a sweet note. I’ll take that. It’s not always easy being a kid or a parent and that can really make some days difficult. It’s probably why I had more of this blackberry peach cobbler coffee cake than I should have. And I don’t regret it.
Our five year old is totally a kindergartner. Anyone else experience this? They are about to head into school and suddenly have a bit more of an attitude about doing things. This one is acting out with crying. It’s exhausting, but I have a plan.
Going to the store led to whining today, something both kids have always been good about. I was pretty over it and it started our day off like poop. Then I realized that to a 5 year old, grocery shopping probably would feel like a big boring hour. So I let her feel like she had more say than she did. It took a few items to get her into it, but suddenly, “Could you pick us out some apples and put them in the bag. Make sure you pick the prettiest ones because they taste the yummiest!” started to work.
I think I’ll have to stick with remembering what it’s like to be a kid and find ways to help her feel involved and acknowledged. Other times I’ll just have to remember that bad days are ok and I HAVE to be the grown up. In other words, choose my own attitude and how the day ends up. It sounds simple, but for me it’s hard and a real weakness of mine.
I’m trying to be a better mom. Especially since I know another little one will only add to the stress. But it will also be amazing. Each kid has been so different but man do they each bring something amazing to the table, something that has made me stretch, grow and love in ways I never knew was possible and boy do I love that! So, I guess today wasn’t all that bad, but it could have been. And now I shall go pick in this blackberry peach cobbler coffee cake because that topping is kind of to die for.
Can Coffee Cake Be Frozen?
Yes, wrap coffee cake tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag.
Place in freezer for up to 4-6 months.
What is The Difference Between Cobblers and Crisps?
Cobbler is a dish consisting of a fruit or savoury filling poured into a large baking dish and covered with a batter, biscuit, or dumpling before being baked.
Crisps are a fruit dessert topped with a crumbly topping made with oatmeal, flour sugar and butter.
How Long Will Coffee Cake Keep?
Freshly baked coffee cake will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when properly stored.
It should be covered with foil or plastic wrap to prevent cake from drying out.
Blackberry Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake
- 1/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Cups Peeled and sliced fresh, ripe peaches (about 2 large peaches)
- 1 cup Fresh Blackberries
- Extra berries and peaches for garnish
- Powdered Sugar for Garnish
For the Topping
- 1/2 Cup Butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
For the Topping
- Begin by making the topping so it's ready for the cake.
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, beat the butter and sugars until smooth. Do not melt the butter if you forget to soften it, instead cut it in small cubes and allow it to soften quickly.
- Add the flour and seasonings and stir again. You should be able to squeeze the topping in your hand and it should stick together in clumps.
- Set aside.
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Beat butter at medium speed with a stand mixer until creamy.
- Add the oil and sugar and beat again.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, milk and vanilla.
- Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, add to the butter mixture alternately with milks, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan.
- Arrange the top with sliced peaches and blackberries.
- Squeeze together clumps of the streusel, about 1-inch pieces, and drop over fruit until completely covered.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until center of cake is set. (A wooden pick inserted in center will not come out clean.)
- Cool completely or slightly cool and serve warm.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Garnish, if desired.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 595 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 93.7mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 84.3g Fiber: 2.9g Sugar: 49.8g Protein: 7.5g
Apple Coffee Cake Muffins