I cannot believe I forgot to tell you about one of our new favorite, winter salad recipes, Blood Orange Salad. Or, as we like to call it, Christmas Salad. This is the perfect Christmas or Holiday salad, not only because of the seasonal flavors, but we loooove the colors. Just watch as that dressing settles and has it’s own little Ombre look. Gosh, I’m so fashionable that even my food could walk the runway (said as I’m chillin’ in grey sweats, an Abercrombie sweatshirt from 2000 and fluffy hospital socks.) 😉
I had the fantastic opportunity to go to Utah Valley Magazine a while back and a few of us bloggers were able to do a photo shoot of our favorite holiday dishes. Trust me, this one is definitely a favorite. I’ve also been itching to make Janey’s (Utah Valley Foodie) cheese dip. Good mercy that thing was delicious. Actually everyone’s food was amazing. Lindsey, Cafe Johnsonia even went all out with a Cassoulet. She’s a genius. I want to grow up just like her, but I’m not growing up for at least 10 more years.
Seriously though, how beautiful is that ombre dessing? Your guests (the ladies over the look and everyone over the flavor) will be loving this beautiful and tasty holiday salad. It’s packed full of oranges, blood oranges, beautiful greens, pears and brown sugar almonds. Oh, and the dressing is seriously perfect for the season. It’s a little bit citrus and warm spice all wrapped up in a neat, little package. Your holiday meal will not be the same without this beauty.
What Are Blood Oranges?
Blood orange is a variety of orange with crimson, almost blood-colored flesh.
Blood orange is a deep red flesh and a rind with a bright red blush.
The flavor is stronger and the aroma is more intense than a normal orange.
This fruit has a distinct, sweet flavor with a hint of raspberry.
Are Blood Oranges Good For You?
Blood oranges are low in calories.
Blood oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, and a good source of fiber and potassium.
Are Almonds Healthy?
Almonds contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E.
The health benefits of almonds include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
Blood Orange Salad
Christmas Blood Orange Salad
For the Dressing
- 1/4 Cup Blood Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Blood Orange Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Juice regular
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
For The Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Almonds slivered
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Parchment Paper
For the Salad
- 1 Package Mixed Greens
- 1 Red Pear sliced
- 1/2 Orange peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 Blood Orange peeled and sectioned
- 1/4-1/3 Cup Gruyere Cheese grated
- 1/3 Cup Almonds brown sugared
For the Dressing
- Add all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Almonds
- Heat a pan to medium heat.
- Add the almonds and cook for 2-3 minutes or until nutty in smell and lightly golden.
- Quickly add the butter and cook just until it is melted.
- Quickly add the brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring to combine and turn out onto parchment paper to cool.
For the Salad
- Mix the greens, oranges, pears, and cheese.
- Top with almonds and dressing, enjoy!