Because sometimes you have no choice but to make a burger that is so over the top, juicy, melty and wonderful. And then once you’ve devoured it like a total carnivore you realize that you don’t have a clue what to name it. All you know is that this burger was seriously, over the top. And so the name sticks and we all marvel at the perfect burger with mango guacamole, sweet red chili and lime mayo and sauteed peppers. Oh, and don’t forget the cheese. I guess you don’t HAVE to have cheese but then we probably wouldn’t be besties anymore if you went cheeseless.
Let’s break this baby down. We are guacamole obsessed. We are also in love with mango. Put these things together and what have you got? DELICIOUSNESS. Actually the guacamole has garlic salt and orange juice in it too. I know, orange juice? Knucka what?! I promise it’s awesome. There’s a touch of lime too. I may have had a bowl sitting next to me that I ate with chips too.
I’m all about the sauce too, obviously. I mean look at our raspberry bbq sliders, BBQ cheddar and bacon dipping sauce, and teriyaki pina colada sauce. Clearly I’m all about a good sauce. This one has mayo, lime zest and juice, honey, garlic salt, and sweet red chili sauce. Mix that shizzle all up, or have your kids do it because that’s what they’re good for. 😉
We always celebrated the 4th at our friend’s home with a pool and BBQ or Fort Vancouver for their fireworks show. It was so much fun to sit around the old fort where beaver skin tradings etc all took place and watch a patriotic fireworks show set to music. I so wish that we could take the kids there, but so far we haven’t made it. Maybe we will one day find something as equal here in Utah.
What is your 4th of July tradition?
How Do You Keep Guacamole From Turning Black?
There are a couple of ways to help guacamole stay bright green for a longer period of time.
Air is the culprit that turns avocados or guacamole dark.
Citrus juice helps slow the process.
You can seal it tight with plastic wrap.
You can squeeze a little lime juice over the top and then seal it tight.
How Can You Tell If An Avocado Is Ripe?
The best way to tell if an avocado is ripe is to give it a gentle squeeze.
If the avocado yields to firm gentle pressure you know it’s ripe and ready-to-eat.
I like to give a little push with my finger on the stem end of the avocado.
If it pushes in a little, it is ripe.
Is Mango Good For You?
Mango is high in beta-carotene, which promotes eye health.
Mango supplies 25 percent of your daily Vitamin A requirement, which promotes good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
There is also high levels of Vitamin C in Mango which boosts the immune system.
Over the Top Burger
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Over the Top Burger
- 2 lbs Angus Beef ground
- Hamburger Buns
- Cheese we used Colby Jack
- Sauteed Peppers
For the Guacamole
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1/2 Large Mango chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Sweet Red Chili Mayo
- 5 Tablespoons Light Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Red Chili Sauce plus 1 teaspoon, *see note
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- Zest of 1/2 Lime
- 1/2 Teaspoon Honey
- For the Burgers
- Pat out each burger, making an indentation in the center to avoid a puffy, dry burger and sprinkle with salt and pepper on each side.
- Get a paper towel and drizzle with canola oil.
- Holding the paper towel with tongs, wipe down the grill grate and heat to medium high heat.
- Place the burgers on the grill and walk away. Allow the burgers to cook without pressing down on them or turning until at least 5-6 minutes depending on the size of the burger. See note
- Flip the burgers and add the cheese, allow to cook for another 4-3 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and either stack on a platter tented with foil or start assembling your burger.
- For the guacamole Ok, I like a slightly chunky guacamole and I think it's more authentic than these avocado sauces that I see.
- So, I remove the pit and scoop out each half into a bowl, add the lime, orange, salt and pepper, and garlic.
- Use a fork to slightly smash and mix that guacamole and then fold in the mango. *See note
- For the Mayo
- Add all of the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- To assemble
- Spread a little (or a lot if you're going for over the top slather that baby), add the burger, sauteed peppers, and guacamole then top with the bun lid.
More Avocado Ideas
Honey Avocado Dressing (Our favorite lunch on the whole blog)