I asked the hubs what he wanted for dinner the other night and he said, “I’ll make dinner!” Sweet music to my ears. Love that guy. It started out as terriyaki chicken, but then he decided to switch and make chicken fried rice. Cade is a great cook, but as many of you out there know, it can be a little hard to just turn over the kitchen to someone especially when they are just winging it. So, I kept peeking back into the kitchen and asking what I could do to help. Finally Cade was like, “Carrian, I got this. I want you to be able to rest for once!” Oh, ok. I guess I could try and do that. Well, I’m glad I left him alone because this actually turned out way yummy and totally hit the spot that night.
Is Rice Gluten Free?
Rice is naturally gluten free.
All rice including brown rice, white rice and wild rice are gluten free.
Does Rice Have Any Nutrients?
White rice is mostly carbohydrate.
But, rice does also contain protein and 2 percent fat.
White rice is a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, selenium, iron, folic acid, thiamine and niacin.
What Is A Healthy Alternative To Rice?
Cauliflower rice is an excellent alternative to rice.
It is very low in carbs.
Quinoa is also a good substitute for rice.
Chicken Fried Rice
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 Cup Brown Rice Cooked
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped (he did circles, but I think he should have cubed 'em)
- 1 Cup Peas
- 3 Slices Bacon Turkey
- 2 Chicken Breasts cubed
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Ground
- 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- Cook the bacon over medium heat.
- Remove to paper towels to cool.
- Break up into chunks.
- Place chicken in the same skillet with the turkey fat and cook through.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy, ginger and brown sugar. Do a taste test and depending on the strength of the soy sauce add additional ginger, brown sugar etc. This should be a little thick.
- Dump carrots into pan and saute until tender.
- Add brown rice and peas; toss together.
- Scoot aside some of the rice in the pan so that you have a little pan exposed.
- Crack in both eggs, poking the yolks, and let them begin to cook. As soon as the eggs have started to cook through scramble them up with a spatula and toss with all of the rice.
- Add bacon and chicken to the rice and drizzle over about half to 3/4 of the soy mixture.
- Toss rice and let cook, stirring occasionally for another 5 min.
- Serve with remaining sauce for those who want it.