Oh boy, I know I’m going to get it for this one, but it’s so addicting I had no choice but to pot it. Plus, it’s the perfect little snack to have hanging around for the holidays which is also known as people constantly popping in and visitors staying for a few days, or longer (am I right?). But I really do hear ya, you’re trying to not gain 10 pounds this Christmas which is why I have a little advice, make this candied nuts snack mix, stick it in a mason jar with a little burlap and lace and bam, it’s out of your grasp and you’ve sent your neighbors a little love without breaking the bank.
I originally found this recipe on my very talented friend’s site, Averie Cooks. That girl kills is with her blog and I’m so thrilled to have had gobs of success when making her recipes. This one caught my eye a few months ago and we’ve been making it ever since. Slowly but surely I’ve started adapting the recipe to my own which has been a ton of fun to see which version is our favorite. This one is our latest winner.
We’ve mixed things up a tad with peanuts, pretzels, and a little change in the spices, but that’s just because I wanted to pull out a little more of the salty and sweet and add a little more holiday warmth with the pumpkin pie spices. No, it doesn’t taste like pumpkin, it’s just those spices that I used.
Are Nuts a Good Source of Protein?
Nuts and seeds have a little protein in them, but that’s probably not the reason you should be eating them.
Nuts and seeds are a heart-healthy snack.
The fact that nuts are packed with heart-healthy fats is the reason nuts should be included in your diet.
Which Nuts Are the Lowest in Calories?
The lowest-calorie nuts at are almonds, cashews, and pistachios.
Hazelnuts, walnuts and Brazil nuts are highest in calories.
Are Nuts Hard to Digest?
Nuts can be extremely hard to digest for some, but not for others.
Nuts may be hard for your body to break down.
You may want to limit or at least not over-do-it when it comes to nuts, if you find them difficult to digest.
How Long Will Candied Nuts Keep?
Be sure to cool the candied nuts completely before packaging them.
After they are completely cool, store in an airtight container.
Candied Nuts will keep for about a month.
Candied Nuts Snack Mix
Candied Nuts Snack Mix
- 1 Cup roasted almonds
- 1 cup roasted and salted peanuts
- 1 cup salted cashews
- 1 large egg white whisked to foamy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups craisins
- 1 1/2 cup pretzels
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper in order to keep the nuts from sticking to the pan.
- To a large bowl, add the nuts and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the egg white and water, and whisk vigorously until very foamy, which will take about a minute.
- Pour the egg mixture over the nuts and stir to coat evenly.
- In another small bowl, add the sugars, pumpkin pie spice and salt, add to the nuts and stir very well to coat everything evenly.
- Spread the nuts out evenly on the parchment paper and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, do not over bake. Do not worry about any of the sugar looking funny when hot, as the nuts cool everything will solidify.
- Allow nuts to cool on baking tray for a few hours or we prefer to just leave ours out all night.
- When nuts are cooled completely, sprinkle the dried fruit, pretzels and baking chips over nuts.
- Break apart any big chunks of nuts and toss everything into jars or sealed containers to keep.