Christmas, family, lots of food,–and the flu. Or, at least some nasty colds in our house. There is something so warm and homey about Chicken and Dumplings. The funny thing is that it is pretty much chicken noodle soup. Either way, it’s delicious & I’ve been making a lot of it lately. Below is the basic recipe with several options (noodles, dumplings, thick or thin, etc.).
Are Dumplings Biscuits?
Dumpling dough and biscuit dough are pretty much identical.
Dumplings are cooked in the liquid of the soup or stew.
Biscuits are baked in an oven.
Is Celery Good For You?
Celery is pretty high in water, but it does contain a good amount of fiber.
Celery is also a good source of Vitamins K and C, and contains potassium.
What is A Substitute For Evaporated Milk?
You can substitute half and half for evaporated milk, or make your own.
To make 1 cup of evaporated milk, simmer 2 1/4 cups of regular milk down until it becomes 1 cup.
Chicken and Dumplings
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Chicken and Dumplings Soup
For the Soup
- 1 chicken fryer or breasts
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 2-3 carrots peeled & diced
- 1-2 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 onion diced (opt)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 Cup flour opt
- garlic salt
- 1 egg yolk slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- If you have a raw fryer, or breasts, throw it/them in the crock pot in the morning with some salt and pepper-or a package of Italian dressing dry mix. Let it cook all day. Or, grab a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket.
- When the chicken is done cooking, pull all the meat off the bones. Discard the bones, skin, etc. (This can be done ahead of time & refrigerated or frozen until use.)
- Melt the butter in a stock pot or dutch oven.
- Add the veggies and saute for a min. or two. If you like a thick soup, add the flour, stirring to create a roux. Let it cook for min to reduce the flour taste.
- Add the broth. If you cooked the chicken in the crock pot then use the drippings-they will be delicious!
- Prepare the noodles/dumplings while you wait for the soup to come to a boil. Then drop them one by one into the soup. It will only take a min or so for them to cook.
- Traditionally, you eat the soup at this point. However, sometimes I like to brown the dumplings a little. They float to the top so all you have to do is pop it in the oven for a bit (making sure your stock pot is oven safe of course!). Yummy!
- I cheat and use Bisquick. Just mix it together as instructed on the box and drop them into the soup. I like to add some cheddar to the extra dough and bake them as drop biscuits. Then I brush the tops with melted butter, garlic salt and dill.
- Mix the yolk, milk, salt and pepper.
- Then add enough flour to make a dough.
- Pat the dough out on the counter until it is about half as thick as you'd like it. It will grow when you cook it.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut it into strips, or small cookie cutters for shapes.
- Drop into boiling soup & cook for 1 min.