A couple Sundays ago we had a delicious citrus cornish game hen and glazed carrot bundles, with Lundberg Wild Rice. If you haven’t had that, it’s a gourmet blend of brown and wild rice. It’s SO GOOD! We cook ours in half water half chicken broth. I was in such a rush to get things done that I forgot to cut the carrots the same size, but oh well. I think everyone should make more homemade meals.
I know not everyone loves to cook so for this reason I chose to post an easy recipe that not only is delicious, but it looks like you have worked much harder than you have. So come on, let’s get back to family dinners! Don’t you love Sunday dinners? It’s such an easy going day… well, sometimes it seems to be my busiest, but either way I love Sunday dinners with the fam.
Is Cornish Game Hen Cooked Whole?
Cornish Game Hens are traditionally baked or roasted whole.
Is Cornish Game Hen Better Than Chicken?
Cornish game hen tastes like chicken because it is a chicken, just a small chicken.
Because cornish game hen is small and younger than chicken, it tends to be more tender.
Are Carrots A Healthy Vegetable?
Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.
Carrots have many health benefits including, high fiber, low calorie and a bit of protein.
Citrus Cornish Game Hen
Recipe By Me
- 2 Cornish Hens
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon Dried, crushed Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Recipe by Paula Deen
- 4 Large Carrots
- 8 Chives, Blanched
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
For the Cornish Hens
- Heat oven to 350.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and spray the rack lightly with cooking oil to ensure it does not stick.
- Remove the giblets and discard. If the neck is there remove it too, but ours all have their removed already.
- Rinse hen and pat dry.
- Loosen the skin from the top of the bird (the neck end).
- Rub 1/2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning under the skin of each bird and then place 2 thin slices of lemon in the cavity of the bird.
- Drizzle the olive oil over each bird.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and rosemary over the birds and place in roasting pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until an internal temp of 155-160.
For the Carrots
- Julienne carrots into 3-inch by 1/4-inch strips.
- Cook them in boiling water for 5 min or until just tender: drain.
- Stack into 8 bundles and tie with a blanched chive.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown brown sugar until dissolved.
- Stir in white wine, and simmer 2 min.
- Add carrot bundles to sauce and cook 3 min or until coated with sauce.
2 hens fed all three of us with enough leftovers for the next night
Serving Size:1 recipe
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2215 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 770.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 75.7g Fiber: 10.5g Sugar: 55.7g Protein: 119.6g
On another note… I loved all of your ideas for the ricotta!! Thanks for posting and I can’t wait to try all your recipes!!