So, I was invited to participate in a fun caramel contest, and while there were so many options to make I finally decided on one that would great to munch on through football season, dessert nachos
I know I’m not the only one out there that loves nachos. Go ahead and try to pretend like you are above the cheesy, goopy, stick to your arteries nachos, but I am totally not buying it. In fact, I’d even go so far as to say that you probably cannot resist nachos. You may not think about them, but if you’re at a baseball game and your friend plops down on the bench next to you, you know you’re going to snag one of those cripsy, cheesey, delicious… oh my gosh I need nachos. CRAP. Good thing I’ve got Tropical Nachos.
Now, we’ve already established that as cool, and healthy as we believe ourselves to be we cannot turn down a plate of nachos, let’s talk about how much better they are as dessert. MMMMMMMMM Chocolate. First of all, I will completely admit that I am a cheese lover. Yup, cheese over chocolate. Every. Single. Time. Well, not this time. It all started with the wontons.
I recently judged a funeral potatoes contest at the state fair. (Psst, don’t worry, I had no clue what funeral potatoes were until I moved to Utah. I hate to admit it, but they are awesome! Oh cheesy deliciousness) Anyway, Mr. Handsome and I reaaaaaallly wanted an elephant ear while we were there, but alas, we didn’t really have enough time, so we headed home. The next day I still wanted one and when I saw the wontons in the fridge they sparked an idea. Fried wontons in cinnamon sugar! Oh!! And then I could use the caramel from the contest, loads of chocolate and candy bars. oh heavens. Let’s just say I got pretty full that afternoon, and while I may not have thoroughly enjoyed all three football games Mr. Handsome watched that day, I did enjoy the food.
Are Won Ton Wrappers High In Carbs?
Won ton wrappers are not real high in carbs.
Each won ton wrapper contains about 4 carbs.
How Long Will Won Ton Wrappers Keep?
Unopened won ton wrappers will keep in the refrigerator for quite a while.
Once opened, they can be kept for about a week in the refrigerator.
You can freeze won ton wrappers for up to 2 months.
What Apple Can You Use Instead of Granny Smith?
Honey crisp, gala, and fuji apples have a similar texture and flavor to granny smith apples.
- 1 Package Wonton Wrappers cut in half on the diagonal (creating triangles)
- 1 loaf of Peter’s Caramel
- 1 Cup Peter’s Milk Chocolate This comes in a block, so you will need to chop off chunks
- 1/2 Cup Mercken’s White Chocolate Buttons
- 2 Snickers Candy Bars
- 2 Large Apples Granny Smith, Chopped
- Sea Salt Flakes
- 1-2 Cups Cinnamon Sugar
- Peanut or Canola oil for frying
- Place the cinnamon sugar in a pie plate, set aside.
- Chop the snickers, and set aside.
- Chop the apple, and set aside.
- Heat a large, high edged skillet over medium high heat, with oil about 1/3 the way up.
- Once the oil starts to pop, start adding the wontons one by one.
- Allow them to cook until almost golden and using tongs or a spider, flip the wontons over. Once they reach golden they quickly turn dark, so it is truly best to flip right before that point.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- After they have drained a moment, add them to the cinnamon sugar, tossing to coat.
- Place the caramel in a microwave safe dish, heat on high for one minute, stir and heat another minute at 50% power.
- Stir again and if needed continue melting at 50% power in 30 second increments.
- Melt the milk chocolate and the Mercken’s white buttons in separate bowls, by placing them in the microwave at high power for 30 seconds and then 50% power for 30 second intervals until the chocolate is almost smooth, stirring at each interval.
- Remove from the microwave, and stir until the remaining little chunks melt.
- Place the cinnamon sugar wontons on a large platter, top with apple, candy bars chunks, caramel, chocolate and a sprinkling of sea salt.