I love when the strawberries start to go on sale. I’m pretty much always buying them if it’s a good deal. We make sweet and savory dishes and start canning jam and freezing the berries like crazy. (Click Here if you want to make your own strawberry jam too!) Since I’m up to my elbows in jam making I thought I would do a little post about them.
Facts about strawberries…
*Strawberries are the only fruit with the seeds on the outside
* Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring
* Strawberries are a member of the rose family
* Strawberries can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart attacks
* Folk Lore says that if you split a strawberry in half and share it with someone that you will soon fall in love
* Eating strawberries, which are rich in nitrate, can increase the flow of blood and oxygen to the muscles by 7%. This prevents fatigue and can help out during exercise