If you’ve been reading our site for a while now you’ll know that Cade and I love to chat about our family and the recipes we grew up eating. You’ll also know that our most popular recipe year after year is my mom’s cheesy ground beef and rice casserole. But even though the actual name is, Busy Day Casserole I have always thought it’s actually something that takes forever. I mean, the baking time is so long!! I guess you can get other things done while it’s baking but I wanted something even easier so easy cheesy ground beef and rice cakes were born.
What I like about this version is, well actually there are a few things. First, it uses leftovers. I CANNOT seem to get rice right for our family. I always make too little, or most often too much so I’m stuck with leftovers. In fact, we often have a little rice, a few carrots and a small chunk of cheese in our fridge. Just randoms that need to be used up before they are wasted.
So it’s easy to throw it all in a bowl, mix and then just turn on a pan with a little oil and fry up some little rice cakes. Which brings us to my next favorite part. I love texture and a nice crisp crust on the outside and cheesy rice in the middle is totally my thing. Ya know when cheese bubbles up the side of a casserole dish and gets all crispified? Yeah buddy! I love that! These are seriously so good and it’s like 15 minutes to dinner if you just make a little extra rice and meat the day before.
You can grab this recipe over at She Knows as well and we are already working another version with a yummy sauce! Stay tuned!
Can You Eat Ground Beef That is Pink in the Center?
Ground beef should be cooked to a temperature of 160 degrees.
If your hamburger has reached this temperature, but is still pink, it is safe to eat.
How Long Will Ground Beef Last in the Freezer?
Ground beef is safe indefinitely if kept frozen, but will lose quality over time.
It is best if used within 4 months.
Can Quinoa Be Substituted for Rice?
Quinoa is a popular substitute for pasta and rice.
Quinoa is high in protein and has a sweet nutty flavor.
Easy Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Cakes
- 2 Cups Cooked Texmati Rice
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 lb Ground Beef, Cooked
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Bread Crumbs *optional but helps to hold things together a little more
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Carrots, steamed
- 1/2 Cup Peas, defrosted
- 1 1/2-2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix to evenly combine.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add a drizzle of oil.
- Once hot, use a large spoon to scoop the rice mixture into the hot pan and press the tops gently to create a flattened circle.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden and flip over to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Do no worry about the rice not sticking together at first, the cooking will do that for you just like hashbrowns.
- Place on a paper towel lined plate and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 508 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 113.8mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 56.7g Fiber: 1.1g Sugar: 1.5g Protein: 21.6g