Every summer we love to try out new pasta salad recipes, but this easy pea pasta salad remains one of our favorites year after year!
Everyone loves that 7 layer pea salad recipe, but if you’re going to make it the southern way Cade’s mom says to make it a pasta salad. I guess pasta salad is totally a comfort food thing in the south and I’m totally on board with that! This pea pasta salad is a huge hit at our house and we know you’ll love it too.
Start out by making the hard boiled eggs and the dressing. Just boil the eggs, turn off the burner and cover with a lid to cook the eggs. Then remove to cold water in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble. I feel like the longer the dressing sits the better it gets so I always move to that next. Just whip up some mayonnaise, dijon, salt and pepper, sugar and apple cider vinegar in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Next, if you’re lucky enough use fresh from the garden peas otherwise set a big bowl frozen peas in the sink and fill with warm water so they can defrost but not cook.
Pop some bacon on a tin foil lined baking sheet in the oven (because that’s the ultimate way to make crispy bacon) then crumble. Now cook up your pasta shape of choice, we chose gemelli but you could do shells or spirals of course. Chop up your veggies and cheese and toss everything together, there is your pea pasta salad!
Easy Pea Pasta Salad
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Easy Pea Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces Pasta of Choice We like Gemelli
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Peas defrosted
- 1 Cup Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Cup Cucumber chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs chopped
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese cubed
- 4 Slices Bacon cooked and chopped
- Cook the pasta per package instructions being sure to not over cook or it will be too soggy with the dressing.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, eggs and cheese.
- Fold everything together and top with bacon!
- See note