Hey guys! Des from Life’s Ambrosia here and today I’ve brought with me a sweet treat that is perfect for all of your holiday get togethers: Eggnog Poke Cake. If you love eggnog around this time of year you are going to love, love, LOVE this cake. Not only is it festive and scrumptious but it is beyond easy to make.
Easy to make desserts are always a winner during the holiday season. If you’re throwing a party, you want a dessert that your guests will rave about but doesn’t require you spending all of your time in the kitchen getting it ready. That is where with Eggnog Poke Cake comes in handy.
If you have never tried a poke cake, you use a box cake mix, pudding or sweetened condensed milk and usually some kind of whipped cream topping. Most recipes that I have seen floating around the internet called for Coolwhip and in a pinch that would totally work, but I am kind of a sucker for homemade whipped cream so that’s what I did for this recipe.
For this recipe I also decided to go the pudding route versus using sweetened condensed milk. Because well, just like whipped cream, I kinda like pudding too. Where this cake get’s its holiday twist is the pudding. Instead of mixing the instant pudding with milk as you normally would, I mix it with eggnog. It adds the perfect amount of holiday cheer to this Eggnog Poke Cake.
One last note on this recipe, the first time I made it I decided to add the sprinkles right after I topped it with whipped cream. That would’ve been all fine and dandy had I intended to serve and err…take photos then. But I didn’t. Instead when I went to take the photos during my little ones nap time, I found that the sprinkles bled red and green all over the top. It still tasted just as good, but wasn’t that pretty. So, if you aren’t planning to serve this right away, I’d hold off on the sprinkles until just before serving.
What is Poke Cake?
Poke cake is a cake that you poke holes in after baking.
You then fill the holes with pudding, or jello, or other liquids.
Poke cake is usually topped with whipped cream or frosting.
Can Eggnog Give You Salmonella?
Eggnog is safe to drink because the egg-and-milk combination has been heat-treated to kill most of the harmful microorganisms that could make you sick, and reduce the ones that cause spoilage as well.
How Long Will Whipped Cream Keep?
Homemade whipped cream will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
Cool Whip will last 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Aerosol whipped cream will keep 2-3 weeks.
Eggnog Poke Cake
- 1 box moist yellow cake mix
Ingredients to make the cake
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups eggnog
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- sprinkles (if desired)
- Bake cake according to package directions for 13x9 inch cake.
- Remove cake from oven and use a straw or handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the warm cake about 1 inch apart.
- Whisk together the pudding and eggnog just until mixed.
- Working quickly before the pudding starts to set, pour the pudding over the top of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the whipped cream, in the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with the whisk attachment, whisk together heavy whipping cream and granulated sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over the top of cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 554 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 145mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 56.8g Fiber: 0.5g Sugar: 39.9g Protein: 6.2g
Connect with Des