Our neighbors are super easy going and we really enjoy eating dinners with all of them. Many nights one person will be fixing dinner and everyone will bring a little something to contribute and we all eat together. Sometimes it’s a few families and sometimes just one, but either way it always is a good time. The kids run around playing and having the best time ever while the adults get to sit and chat away.
Last week one of our neighbors had this fajita soup for dinner and we all thought it was the perfect soup on a freeze your butt off cold day. (My mom would die right now. She HATED the word butt growing up. Fart too. We called it woofer. HHAAAAAAAHAHAHA so funny right? Welcome to my life.)
It’s never fun to have to forgo cheese etc in soup, but this time I actually thoroughly enjoyed the soup without any of the extras! The top picture includes the dairy which is what our neighbors and my family had while the bottom picture is my soup. Both were seriously delicious. I really think that the yellow pepper and the corn were my favorite parts. The soup had a little kick to it, but the pepper gave this fantastic flavor and the corn sweetened it up a little.
Is Onion Good For You?
Onions contain fiber and folic acid, a B vitamin that helps the body make healthy new cells.
Raw onions are actually healthier than cooked onions, but cooked onions still contain healthy levels of nutrients.
How Do You Remove Onion Smell From Your Hands?
To remove onion smell from your hands, dampen a cloth with lemon juice or vinegar.
Rub the cloth all over your hands and under your fingernails.
Let the lemon juice or vinegar air dry and then rinse your hands.
Another sure-fire method to remove stubborn onion smell from you hands is to get your hands wet, find something made of stainless steel, such as a pot, colander, utensil, or other metal object in the kitchen or around the house.
Hold the item under running water and rub it on your hands the way you would with a bar of soap.
Do this for a full minute.
The onion smell will disappear!
How Long Can You Keep Soup?
Left over soup can be kept for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Soup should be cooled and covered, then stored in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home by Devri
- 1 LB Boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 each medium green sweet red and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 4 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup 8 ounces sour cream (mine didn't have any sour cream, hence the brothy look)
- 1/2-1 Packet Fajita Seasoning
- Cilantro to taste
- Tortilla chips and minced fresh chives optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir the chicken, peppers and onion in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the broth, corn, rice, enchilada sauce, chilies and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cheese and sour cream until cheese is melted.
- Serve with chips and chives if desired.