We love to read together as a family, but especially in the days before Christmas. It slows things down and these are our Favorite Christmas Books!
When I was growing up we had the best Christmas traditions. We would spend all month finding ways to serve as a family, ditching goodies or groceries on doorsteps or sliding envelopes of cash into doors. My parents really emphasized that it was the season for giving, not receiving. They gave to us as well with fun traditions that made us come together as a family and enjoy time together versus just stuff which is quickly forgotten.
The Tradition Started with Mom
Every Christmas Eve my mom read us a few favorite Christmas stories, always ending with the bible story of the birth of the Savior. I wanted a similar tradition with my own family, but we’ve changed things up a bit because I noticed almost immediately after having children that we had a problem.
All season long we rushed here and there and the reason for the season was quickly lost in the shuffle. I vowed to get shopping done before December, give more than receive like my parents had taught me and to slow down and be present.
Christmas Books List
Thus began our Favorite Christmas Books tradition. Each year we buy a new book or two and wrap them, along with the books from previous years. The kids pick out one book a night which we snuggle up under the glow of the Christmas tree and read together. It is quiet and wonderful.
- Bear Stays up for Christmas
- The Crippled Lamb
- Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Clause
- The Biggest Most Beautiful Christmas Tree
- The Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
- Room for a Little One
- Celebrating a Christ-Centered Christmas
- The Biggest, Best Snowman
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Polar Express
- Symbols of Christmas
- Humphrey’s First Christmas
- The Very Snowy Christmas
- The Most Precious Gift
- The Littlest Christmas Tree (it’s only $1)
- The Mismatched Nativity
- How Santa Got His Job
- Mrs Claus Takes a Vacation (only $1)
- Thank You Santa
- Why Christmas Trees Aren’t Perfect
What Christmas Book do you Love?
Now let’s hear from all of you, what book should we get next?
Want more of our favorite books? These are the best toddler boy books!