This is the best recipe for flourless chocolate cake. It’s a chocolatey and gluten free cake recipe topped with chocolate ganache and your favorite berries.
As Valentine’s Day approaches, you may be looking for a decadent treat to share with your loved ones. Chocolate is a requirement for Valentine’s Day for us and when you add strawberries and raspberries on top it’s like it was made for this holiday.
This flourless chocolate cake is the perfect Valentine’s Day treat to share with your sweetie or your kiddos. It’s definitely family friendly and great to take into schools because it’s tree nut free too.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Have you ever tried flourless chocolate cake?! It’s a rich and decadent chocolate cake that has a consistency similar to fudge. It is really rich!
The best part about this flourless chocolate cake is that it’s gluten free. If you know anyone that likes to avoid gluten then this recipe is for them. It’s made with only a few ingredients and it’s super rich and fudgy.
Grab yourself some of your favorite berries to top the cake and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar. You can even serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
What is flourless chocolate cake made of?
You only need 4 main ingredients for the cake and one extra ingredient for the chocolate ganache topping, which means this recipe only calls for 5 simple ingredients! Easy and delicious!
- Semi-sweet chocolate is the main ingredient in this recipe. I recommend a semi-sweet baking bar like Baker’s chocolate.
- Butter gives this recipe extra flavor and fat for some structure since we don’t have flour.
- Eggs also give this cake structure. You’ll beat them until they’re light and fluffy which helps this cake rise!
- Granulated sugar balances out the bitterness from the semi-sweet chocolate and helps this flourless chocolate cake recipe be just sweet enough.
- Coconut cream or heavy whipping cream mix with more melted chocolate to make a thick chocolate ganache.
Of course you’ll also need vanilla and salt, but those are staples in any baked good!
Is a flourless cake gluten free?
Yes! This flourless chocolate cake is gluten free. Because it’s made without any flour or grains there isn’t any gluten in this recipe. All of your gluten free friends will thank you!
How do you know when flourless cake is done?
Flourless chocolate cake is a little tricky to be able to tell when it’s done because the center will be soft and a little wet, so the toothpick trick isn’t a great test. My favorite way to tell it’s done is by noticing with a shell-like layer forms on the top of the cake and an instant thermometer inserted in the center of the cake reads at least 200°F.
How to store flourless chocolate cake
Does flourless chocolate cake need to be refrigerated?
No, flourless chocolate cake does not need to be refrigerated. You can cover your flourless chocolate cake loosely with wax paper or cling wrap and store in a cool place for up to 5 days. You can refrigerate the cake if you choose to. Follow the same directions and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to sit a room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Can you freeze a flourless chocolate cake?
You can also freeze this flourless chocolate cake. Store it in an air tight container and place it in the freezer for up to two months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge and set at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour prior to serving.
How long will flourless cake last?
This flourless chocolate cake recipe will last for up to 5 days at room temperature, up to one week in the fridge and up to 2 months in the freezer. Be sure it’s covered well in the freezer to avoid freezer burn.
Chocolate Cake Recipes
Looking for more chocolate cake recipes? Wacky Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Cherry Cake, Chocolate Sheet Cake, Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting, White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars with Raspberry Sauce, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Flourless chocolate cake:
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 12 tablespoons 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Strawberries raspberries or whipped cream for topping
- 2/3 cup coconut cream or heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces semi sweet or dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9 by 2-inch spring-form pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave, ttir and microwave again in 30 second increments until completely melted. Add salt and stir again to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld electric mixer until light and thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. See picture above for consistency.
- Once beaten, gradually fold the melted chocolate into the whipped eggs until evenly combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring-form pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out wet but not gooey, about 50-60 minutes. The cake should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center.
- Remove it from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently loosen the edges of the cake from the pan with a knife. Place a serve plate upside down over the top of the cake then use two hands to gently the cake upside down on the place. The top will now be the bottom. The cake will flatten a bit, that’s okay. Remove spring form pan from the cake and allow to cool completely before adding the ganache.
- While it’s cooling make the ganache. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir then repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Add the coconut cream or heavy cream and stir well to combine. Spread over cooled cake. Allow ganache to set completely before finishing and serving.
- To serve, dust cake with confectioners' sugar. Serve with whipped cream, fresh raspberries or strawberries.