This is the BEST recipe for flourless chocolate cake! It’s a gluten-free chocolate cake that’s topped with chocolate ganache and fresh berries. Impossible to resist!
The BEST Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
As Valentine’s Day approaches, you may be looking for a decadent treat to share with your loved ones. Chocolate is a requirement on Valentine’s Day for us, and when you add strawberries and raspberries on top it’s like it was made for this holiday.
This flourless chocolate cake is the perfect Valentine’s Day treat to share with your sweetie or your kiddos. It’s definitely family-friendly and great to take into schools because it’s tree nut-free as well as gluten-free. Plus, it’s made with only a few ingredients and is super rich and fudgy. Win-win-win!
Once you’ve baked this flourless chocolate cake, grab yourself some of your favorite berries to top the cake and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar. You can even serve with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream!
Flourless Chocolate Cake Ingredients
You only need four main ingredients for the cake and one extra ingredient for the chocolate ganache topping, which means this flourless chocolate cake recipe only calls for five simple ingredients! Easy and delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best chocolate cake sans flour:
- Semi-sweet chocolate is the main ingredient in this recipe. I recommend a semi-sweet baking bar, like Baker’s chocolate.
- Butter gives this recipe extra flavor and fat for some structure since we don’t have flour.
- Eggs also give this cake structure. You’ll beat them until they’re light and fluffy, which helps this cake rise.
- Granulated sugar balances out the bitterness from the semi-sweet chocolate and makes this flourless chocolate cake be just sweet enough.
- Coconut cream or heavy whipping cream mix with more melted chocolate to make a thick chocolate ganache.
Of course, you’ll also need vanilla and salt, but those are staples in any baked good!
Can I Use Another Type of Chocolate?
Yes, but we wouldn’t recommend using anything sweeter than semi-sweet chocolate. If you use milk chocolate, I’m afraid this flourless chocolate cake would be far too sweet.
Is Flourless Cake Gluten-Free?
Yes! This flourless chocolate cake is gluten-free. Because it’s made without any flour or grains, there isn’t any gluten in this recipe. All of your gluten free-friends will thank you!
How to Make Flourless Chocolate Cake
Don’t let its pretty appearance fool you into thinking it’s tough to make a gluten-free chocolate cake. It’s not! Here’s how to make this flourless chocolate cake recipe:
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave, then stir in the salt.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together until thickened (this will take about 10 minutes).
- Gently fold the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Turn the flourless chocolate cake batter into a greased springform pan and bake until set.
- While the cake cools, make the chocolate ganache.
- Spread ganache over cooled cake, then dust with powdered sugar and top with your favorite berries.
How to Tell When Flourless Chocolate Cake Is Done
It can be tricky to tell when flourless chocolate cake is finished baking because the center will be soft and a little wet, so the toothpick trick isn’t a great test. The easiest way to tell it’s done is by looking for a shell-like layer to form on the top of the cake. Also, an instant thermometer inserted in the center of the cake should read at least 200°F.
How to Store Flourless Chocolate Cake
Flourless chocolate cake does not need to be refrigerated. You can cover your flourless chocolate cake loosely with wax paper or cling wrap and store in a cool place for up to 5 days. You can refrigerate the cake if you choose to. Follow the same directions and store in the fridge for up to 1 week. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
Can You Freeze Flourless Chocolate Cake?
You can also freeze this gluten-free chocolate cake. Store it in an airtight container and place it in the freezer for up to two months. Allow the cake to thaw overnight in the fridge and set at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour prior to serving.
How Long Will Flourless Chocolate Cake Last?
This flourless chocolate cake recipe will last for up to 5 days at room temperature, up to one week in the fridge and up to 2 months in the freezer. Be sure it’s covered well in the freezer to avoid freezer burn.
Tips for Making the Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
Be sure to buy good quality chocolate for this flourless chocolate cake recipe. The chocolate is the star ingredient, so you want it to really shine.
If you don’t have a springform pan, you can probably get away with using a regular round cake pan. Just be sure to spray the pan with non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper. You definitely don’t want the bottom of the cake sticking to the pan!
We like serving this flourless chocolate cake with whipped cream or ice cream. If you make homemade whipped cream, you don’t need to add much sweetener to it since the cake itself is already so rich. Just mix in a splash of vanilla and you’re good to go!
More Decadent Desserts You’re Sure to Love:
- Dulce de Leche Chocolate Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel Crème Brûlée
- Lime Cheesecake with Triple Berry Sauce
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mini Fruit Tarts
- Caramel Brownies from Scratch
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
- Nutella Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Marshmallow Cookie Pie
- All our DESSERT RECIPES!
More Chocolate Cake Recipes:
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Wacky Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
- White Chocolate Cheesecake Bars with Raspberry Sauce
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Simple Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- Easy Chocolate Banana Cake
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Flourless chocolate cake:
- 16 ounces chocolate, semi-sweet, chopped
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs, large, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Whipped Cream
- 2/3 cup coconut cream or heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces chocolate, semi sweet or dark, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 9 by 2-inch spring-form pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove from microwave, stir and microwave again in 30 second increments until completely melted. Add salt and stir again to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a handheld electric mixer until light and thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. See picture above for consistency.
- Once beaten, gradually fold the melted chocolate into the whipped eggs until evenly combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring-form pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out wet but not gooey, about 50-60 minutes. The cake should register at least 200°F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center.
- Remove it from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Gently loosen the edges of the cake from the pan with a knife. Place a serve plate upside down over the top of the cake then use two hands to gently the cake upside down on the place. The top will now be the bottom. The cake will flatten a bit, that’s okay. Remove spring form pan from the cake and allow to cool completely before adding the ganache.
- While it’s cooling make the ganache. Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir then repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Add the coconut cream or heavy cream and stir well to combine. Spread over cooled cake. Allow ganache to set completely before finishing and serving.
- To serve, dust cake with confectioners' sugar. Serve with whipped cream, fresh raspberries or strawberries.