Since we started participating in a food co-op, I’ve been altering my typical recipes and also searching for new ones to use the random veggies and fruits we get. We got a boatload of cucumbers one week, so I searched a new favorite (realsimple.com) for cucumber recipes. This was a total score. We ended up making these Ginger, Pork and Cucumber Pitas, they were great!
Are Cucumbers Good For You?
Cucumbers are low in calories and contain a good amount of fiber.
Cucumbers also contain a small amount of Vitamin K, vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, manganese and vitamin A.
Do Cucumbers Make You Burp?
Some people experience gastrointestinal distress from some varieties of cucumbers.
The more bitter your cucumber is, the more likely it will cause you to burp.
Are Pitas Made From Wheat Flour?
Pita bread contains wheat flour.
Pita bread is made with flour, salt, water, and yeast.
Ginger, Pork and Cucumber Pitas
Recipe courtesy of realsimple.com
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 red or green jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 pitas, halved
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cucumbers and jalapeño and let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the pork, breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the hoisin, ginger, and 2 tablespoons water.
- Fill the pita halves with the pork and cucumber salad.
Variations: *I made my own pitas because...well, because they're awesome. *You could probably cut back on the jalapenos if you don't like things super spicy. I do, so I actually doubled the jalapenos.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2078 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 328.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 161.3g Fiber: 18.9g Sugar: 37.8g Protein: 100.8g