I adore Grilled Chicken and Avocado Napoleons. They are so simple, but completely delicious. I hate spicy, but for some reason I love the kick of cayenne in the dressing with the cool avocado and flaky, buttery, amazingly delish puff pastry. It’s pretty much perfection.
The first time I had this recipe I knew it looked good, but it seemed a tad odd to use puff pastry for a sandwich. I am forever converted. You truly must try it yourself to understand, but it’s quite amazing.
We usually eat these napoleans with a little spinach, but we were completely out on this particular evening. I didn’t care. I had a hankering and was more than willing to forgo the greens.
Have you ever even had Puff pastry? It’s purty darn delicious. We don’t make our own. Why slave for hours to make something that Pepperidge Farm does so well? They make a fantastic puff pastry, and so I stick with them.
This recipe is adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, so unfortunately I cannot take the credit, but I’m all about sharing recipes that are delicious even if I didn’t think it up myself. We had already been inspired by a sandwich and had puff pastry lying around so when I saw her show making something similar I had to pounce!
Can You Grill Chicken In An Oven?
To grill chicken in an oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Brush chicken with olive oil and place on a broiler pan.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Is Phyllo Dough The Same As Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry dough and phyllo dough are very different.
Puff pastry is denser and sturdier than phyllo dough.
If used interchangeably, Phyllo dough will yield different results than puff pastry.
Are Avocados Good For You?
Avocados are packed with nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.
Avocados are rich in potassium, which helps lower blood pressure.
They contain a good amount of fiber, folic acid and vitamins B6, C, E, and K.
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Napoleons
- 2 (9 by 10 inch) sheets of frozen puff pastry, thawed and cut into 12 rectangles.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 Teaspoon Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- Kosher Salt
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 3 Tablespoons low fat or reduced fat mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Large Avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Preheat to 400.
- Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Using the tines of a fork, prick the top of the pastry all over.
- Cover with parchment and place another baking sheet on top.
- Bake for 25 min (ours took 23 min) or until golden.
- Remove from pan and let cool.
- Preheat a grill pan and season both sides of chicken with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 min on each side.
- Set aside to rest.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo and cayenne.
- To assemble:
- Place pastry on a work surface.
- Slice each chicken breast diagonally into 6 (1/4 inch thin) slices.
- Place 3 slices of chicken on pastry and top with 1/4 of spinach.
- Place 1 avocado slice on top.
- Spread 1 ts of mayo mixture on the underside of another piece of pastry to create the middle layer.
- Place on top.
- Repeat the layering with a pastry ending as the top.
Spinach or romaine are great options for greens
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 3434 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 144.1mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 236.1g Fiber: 17.5g Sugar: 4.8g Protein: 79.5g