*I realize the picture is not great..I was trying to capture the salty goodness, but this picture doesn’t do this ham and artichoke panini recipe justice. These puppies are so good.
Is Ham Precooked?
If it is cured, smoked or baked, ham is considered “pre-cooked,” and would not need to be cooked before eating.
“Fresh” ham in not precooked and needs to be cooked before eating.
Is Artichoke Good For You?
Artichoke is a good source of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K.
Artichoke is also packed with antioxidants which protect the cells of your body.
Can You Eat Artichoke Raw?
Although most artichoke recipes call for the vegetable to be steamed, sauteed or braised, artichokes can also be eaten raw.
Ham and Artichoke Panini Recipe
Ham and Artichoke Panini
Recipe By: Emeril Lagasse
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, balsamic
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaves, minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 slices bread, ciabatta or other rustic Italian white bread, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces provolone, thinly sliced
- 6 oz artichoke hearts,, marinated, drained and sliced
- 2 ounces salami, thinly sliced genoa
- Whisk 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to blend.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a flat work surface and, using a brush, divide the vinaigrette equally among 1 side of each slice.
- Divide the provolone equally among the bread slices.
- Top 6 of the slices of bread equally with the sliced artichoke hearts and sliced genoa salami and then place the remaining 6 slices on top.
- Brush the outsides of each sandwich with some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat a grill, large skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, pressing occasionally to compact with a large spatula or the bottom of a heavy small saucepan, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill, cut in half and serve.