*I realize the picture is not great..I was trying to capture the salty goodness, but this picture doesn’t do this ham and artichoke panini justice. These puppies are so good.
Is Ham Precooked?
If it is cured, smoked or baked, ham is considered “pre-cooked,” and would not need to be cooked before eating.
“Fresh” ham in not precooked and needs to be cooked before eating.
Is Artichoke Good For You?
Artichoke is a good source of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K.
Artichoke is also packed with antioxidants which protect the cells of your body.
Can You Eat Artichoke Raw?
Although most artichoke recipes call for the vegetable to be steamed, sauteed or braised, artichokes can also be eaten raw.
Ham and Artichoke Panini
Recipe By: Emeril Lagasse
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices ciabatta bread, or other rustic Italian white bread, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced provolone
- 1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced genoa salami
- Whisk 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl to blend.
- Arrange the slices of bread on a flat work surface and, using a brush, divide the vinaigrette equally among 1 side of each slice.
- Divide the provolone equally among the bread slices.
- Top 6 of the slices of bread equally with the sliced artichoke hearts and sliced genoa salami and then place the remaining 6 slices on top.
- Brush the outsides of each sandwich with some of the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat a grill, large skillet or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, pressing occasionally to compact with a large spatula or the bottom of a heavy small saucepan, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the grill, cut in half and serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2887 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 178.6mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 192.2g Fiber: 20.1g Sugar: 29.2g Protein: 97.4g