The kids love eating these adorable grinch oreos or santa oreos and moms and dads love that it’s a quick and easy activity for the long winter break!
Last year the girls really wanted to have a busy Christmas break full of crafts, cookies, building snowmen, pajama days and more. We had just had a baby and I didn’t want the girls to be forgotten, but I also knew a baby would make things different, so I made a plan. I decided one day we could invite friends over to make Grinch oreos or Santa oreos but in order to do that we would have to work hard first. And while a lot of cute crafts and treats pop up on Pinterest I just do not have the ability to go all crazy with fondant etc so this was going to be the fast and easy version.
While Christmas break is all fun for the kids it’s often chaos for moms. Am I right? It seems to be a lot of running around, cooking, baking and stress and that’s not how we wanted it. So we told the girls that with a new baby we had to limit being out and about, keep visits from friends short and everyone needed to pitch in. If we were willing to do that and work together I’d let them make treats to deliver.
That’s just what we did. We cleaned all day one day and then rested all week. One day I brought out dipping chocolates and oreos because I could still keep things simple but they could have fun.
Are Oreos Vegan?
Oreo cookies are NOT vegan. This is according to the Oreo FAQ page itself.
“Oreos have milk as cross-contact and therefore are not suitable for vegans,” it reads.
This means small amounts of milk may have come into contact with the cookies or the equipment used to make them.
It’s so hard to not jump in and makes things how I think they should be. I just want to step in and take over but I know they need the chance to get creative and they loved it! Ithink they turned out cute and all it took was different colored dipping chocolates I found at Walmart, sugar eyes, sprinkles, edible markers and black glitter gel!
The key it to put everything in bowls so it’s all organized and get those oreos dipped ahead of time so they are dry for decorating. They dry quite quickly so even 15 minutes before you call the kids into the kitchen (unless your kitchen is burning hot) is just fine.
And the white chocolate for Santa is best done in a piping bag or I just use a ziploc with the end cut off. That way I can gently swirl it onto the cookie.
How Long Will Oreos Keep?
Oreos will keep for 2-3 weeks beyond the “best by” date.
Grinch Oreos or Santa Oreos
Grinch Oreos or Santa Oreos
- 1 Package Oreos
- 1 Cup Each Red and Green Dipping Chocolates, Or white chocolate colored
- Black Glitter Gel, Edible
- Sugar Eyes
- 1/3 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- Black and Yellow Edible Pens
- Gold Sprinkles
- Place the green and red chocolate wafers in separate microwave safe bowls.
- Heat in the microwave in 30 Second intervals, stirring between each until smooth.
- Place parchment or a silpat on the counter or in a cookie sheet.
- Using a fork, drop one oreo at a time in the chocolate , flip over and gently lift the oreo out of the chocolate, gently tapping the fork on the side of the bowl so the chocolate can drip off a little.
- Place on the parchment and allow to set.
- For the Grinch cookies immediately place the eyes in the chocolate so it sets.
For the Grinch
- Color the eyes with the yellow edible pen.
- Using the black pen or black glitter gel, draw eyebrows over the eyes, make lines under the eyes, a rectangle nose and mouth.
- Allow to set.
For the Santa Belly
- Using the black glitter gel, make a square in the center of the red oreo.
- Draw the bands of the belt on both the left and right sides.
- Allow to set.
- Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds, stirring at each interval until almost melted.
- Stir quickly to allow the heat to finish melting down the chips.
- Place in a ziploc bag and clip the very end creating a small hole.
- Pipe in tight circles creating the fluffy white bottom on Santas coat or the fluffy white fur down the center of his coat.
- Add a dab in the center of the belt buckle and carefully fill with gold sprinkles.
- Allow to set and enjoy!
White Chocolate Peppermint Oreos
Cute idea! I think my nieces and nephews would really like them.