I saw this recipe for hasselback potatoes over at Sea Salt With Food and I was instantly intrigued. When we were younger, my older sister and I used to slice potatoes really thin and bake them and eat them with homemade honey mustard. I was curious to see if this would be a good way to get the outside all crispy, but keep the inside tender. Sure enough! The ridges and bottom get so crispy and delicious while the meat of the potato was so light and tender. What a perfect combination! I LOVED how garlicky it was and that sea salt… MMMMMMMMMMM. I think this will be a good experimenting potato. Maybe some paprika etc next time. It will be like the Chec potatoes grandma makes.
Are Potatoes Good For You?
Potatoes are a heart-healthy food, rich in potassium, vitamin C and fiber.
Potatoes also contain Vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium and iron and are gluten, fat, sodium, and cholesterol free.
What Kind Of Potato Is Best For Baking?
Starchy potatoes and sweet potatoes make the best bakers.
Russet potatoes are the first choice for baking potatoes.
Is The Skin Of The Potato Good For You?
Yes, the skin of potatoes is a good source for potassium.
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
- 6 Potatoes Medium
- 2 - 3 Cloves Garlic thinly sliced *I did a little more
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Sea Salt Maldon
- Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Put the potato on a chopping board, flat side down.
- Start from one end of the potato, cut almost all the way through, making thin slices.
- Arrange the potatoes in a baking tray and insert the garlic in between the slits.
- Scatter some butter on top of each potato.
- Then drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake the potatoes for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes turn crispy and the flesh is soft.
- Serve with homemade honey mustard or your favorite dipping sauce.
- I preferred mine plain because I like that garlicky, buttery deliciousness, but Cade ate his with ranch... weird.