I love a yummy California Turkey Club Sandwich, and while it isn’t as bad calorie wise as it could be, I wanted a healthier version to share here. I’m all about a healthy sandwich like this turkey wrap, and even more about a good dish for dinner. This meal is super light with crumbled turkey bacon, turkey breasts, and a yummy avocado salsa on top. It’s kind of like the naked version of a California Club without the bread. Oh, plus a tiny bit of monterey cheese. Serve the dish over mixed greens and enjoy a lighter dinner this evening.
ANYWAY, when Mr. Handsome and I first started hanging out we had a chicken dish similar to this one a few times before we headed off to the gym to teach our classes. Probably not necessarily the best option considering the cheese and bacon, but it did fill us up without making us sick to our stomachs while working out. Goodness, that truly seems like a million years ago. It was such an easier time of life, study, go to classes, work out, hang out, do it all again. However, we both agree that our lives feel so much more full, and joyful now as a family. And if you come back tomorrow you can here all about our story as it’s our 8 year wedding anniversary. 😉
One tip for this dish is to use a nonstick pan to get the bread crumbs crispy on the bottom. You will only need the tiniest amount of olive oil which helps your calories to stay lower, but you still will get a crispy breast. I also see no need for a proper breading as the panko will stick just fine and the flour egg mixture will only add more calories again. Once you’ve crisped the breast go ahead and spread a thin layer of fat free mayonnaise or yogurt on top and sprinkle with a little bread crumbs. Stick the whole thing in the oven and then top with the bacon and cheese the last few minutes just to get everything melted.
Is Turkey a Good Source of Protein?
Turkey breast is a low fat, healthy source of protein.
Both chicken and turkey give you about 25 grams of high-quality protein, along with B vitamins.
Does Turkey Bacon Taste Like Bacon?
Turkey bacon is made from ground up turkey and flavored to taste like bacon.
Turkey bacon is leaner, but it has less protein than pork bacon.
Are Avocados High In Fat?
Avocados are high in fat.
But it’s monounsaturated fat, which is a “good” fat that helps lower bad cholesterol.
Healthy California Turkey Club
Healthy California Turkey Club
- 2 Turkey Breasts or chicken, pounded out flat, and cut into two more pieces, leaving you with 4
- 1 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs divided
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise Fat Free, or Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Slices Turkey Bacon Cooked and Crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Cheese Shredded Monterey Jack
For the Avocado Salsa
- 1 Avocado chopped
- 2 Roma Tomatoes Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1 Pinch salt and Pepper
- 1 squirt Lemon Juice
- Divide the bread crumbs evenly between two dishes.
- Add the salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place each breast in the bread crumbs, pressing down to help the crumbs stick.
- Once the pan is hot and the oil is beginning to shimmer, add the turkey/chicken and immediately turn down to low.
- Allow the turkey/chicken to cook for about 4-6 minutes, and the bread crumbs have turned golden.
- Remove the turkey/chicken to a baking dish.
- Spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise or yogurt on each breast and sprinkle with a little bit of the separated bread crumbs.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the bacon and then cheese.
- Place the chicken back in the oven until the cheese is melted and the turkey/chicken is cooked through, another 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the avocados, tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice and season to taste.
- Place lettuce on a platter and once the meat is cooked, allow it to cool for a few minutes, place on the lettuce and top with the salsa.