Crisp tostadas, juicy marinated chicken grilled to perfection and fresh avocado to make you swoon. These healthy chili lime chicken tostadas are a must make for #TacoTuesday.
Are Tostada Shells Gluten-free?
Not all tostada shells are gluten-free.
Gluten-free tostada shells should be clearly marked on the package.
You guys crack us up. We have such an overwhelming request for more family friendly healthy recipes, but what gets pinned and shared the most, heck even viewed the most on the blog is gooey, cheesy, chocolaty goodness. In other words, all things that would make you bust out the fat pants instead of the skinny jeans.
So here’s what you’re telling me, you want to be summer ready, healthy, fit and feelin’ good so you’re working on finding healthier recipes, but you want to stare at carbs, cheese and chocolate all day long. Am I right?
Well this is a good meet ya in the middle. We marinated the chicken so it would be packed with flavor and nice and juicy. We added some fire grilled peppers, cool and creamy avocados and a bit of bite from a nice and zesty salsa. Then we piled it all on top of corn tortillas that were fried up in a bit of coconut oil and sprinkled with a bit of salt so the tostadas were crisp but not as unhealthy as they could be.
So there ya go, still cheese involved, something fried, but overall a much healthier dish so you can meet your goals. And don’t worry, you can even take it a step further by brushing the tortillas with the oil and baking them off. Woop der it is! 😉
Why do You Marinate Chicken?
Marinating chicken or any meat allows the meat to absorb the flavor of the marinade before being cooked.
It gives a deeper, richer flavor to the meat.
Are Chicken Breasts Healthy?
Chicken breast are a good source of protein.
They are low in fat, low carb and low sodium.
Chicken breast meat is a healthy choice.
Healthy Chili Lime Chicken Tostadas
Healthy Chili Lime Chicken Tostadas
- 6-9 Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 3 Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice, fresh is best!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
For the marinade
- In a ziploc, combine the marinade and add the chicken.
- Close the bag and squish the bag a few times.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Marinate for 2 hours or the entire day.
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- Brush with oil soaked paper towel.
- Place the chicken on the grill and turn down to medium heat.
- Cook for 4-6 minutes per side or until juices run clear.
- Allow to rest for 3-5 minutes with foil gently placed over the top on a plate.
- Do not wrap the foil.
- Meanwhile, toss the peppers in a little oil and place on the hot grill, turning every few minutes or until charcoal spots appear.
- Remove and slice, getting rid of the seeds.
- In a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the coconut oil and heat to a shimmer.
- Add the tortillas one at a time and fry on each side about 1 minute or until golden.
- Drain on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
- Place chicken, peppers, avocado, cheese and salsa on each tostada.
- Garnish with a little cilantro and squeeze of lime juice.
- Serve immediately.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Tostadas
Hoping to try this soon. I don’t see peppers or other ingredients listed but you mention them in the instructions. Can you recommend how many peppers and any other ingredients and quantities please? Thanks.
Hi Karol! All the other ingredients are mostly garnishes, so you can do as much or as little as you want. I think to use one red bell pepper, but you could use green or yellow or a combination of those. If you like more heat, you could roast a poblano pepper or a couple of jalapenos. Enjoy!!
These look amazing, Carrian! And your posts are so fun to read.
You are seriously the sweetest!