BLEH! I am so tired of thinking up healthy dinners. I am totally in a rut and I’m desperate for your advice. What are some of your favorite healthy chicken recipes? We recently had this healthy chicken recipe for hummus chicken and it was light, flavorful and most important it was filling. So, ta-da! Here’s our healthy hummus chicken and hash.
Sometimes healthy recipes are too light and an hour later I’m ready to devour everything in site. I was looking for something that would stick to my ribs a little more and this totally did the trick.
Just spread a little hummus of any flavor (roasted red pepper is on our list to experiment with) on the chicken, sprinkle parmesan cheese on that and then panko on top of that. Drizzle the whole chicken with a little olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
The hash is delicious! It’s really simple too because I don’t want to always be stuck in the kitchen. The hash is easy to make so I’ll include it in the recipe as well. It’s just potatoes, but we normally use sweet potatoes (white or orange), brussel sprouts and carrots. We use a tiny amount of olive oil in a nonstick skillet, sprinkle a little Johnny’s Garlic Spread *we buy it at Costco* and let the whole think get all sauteed and lovely.
What is Hummus Made From?
Hummus is made with chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and salt.
Sometimes other ingredients such as red peppers and pine nuts are included.
It is used as a dip or spread.
Does Hummus Have Nutritional Value?
Hummus is super nutritious and packed with plant-based protein.
It is rich in ingredients that are proven to help fight inflammation.
Hummus is high in fiber which promotes digestive health.
Hummus may help control blood sugar levels.
Is Chicken Considered a Lean Protein?
Skinless chicken, especially the white meat can be a good choice of lean protein.
Chicken gives you about 25 grams of high-quality protein, along with B vitamins and selenium.
Healthy Hummus Chicken and Hash
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup hummus, any flavor
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- olive oil
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, ends trimmed and chops
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, skin on and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Johnny's Garlic Spread
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a baking dish with nonstick olive oil spray.
- Butterfly the 2 breasts by slicing through the breasts to create 4 thin breasts.
- Spread the hummus evenly on top of each breast.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and panko then drizzle with a little oil.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes and remove from the oven to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
For the hash
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and drizzle in olive oil.
- Add the veggies and seasoning and saute until tender, about 6-10 minutes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 488 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 108.9mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 45.8g Fiber: 9.3g Sugar: 4.6g Protein: 46g