Would say you eat normal, small or too big of portion sizes?
I think that taco salads are way too big and too loaded to be considered healthy. Many people consider it a healthier option at fast food joints, but the sad reality is that most taco bowls have been fried, the lettuce is only ice burg (which we know does not have the nutritional value one may think), and the portion size is HUMUNGOUS! Way too much for for one person. Period. In fact, I’d say that every meal we eat is probably more than we actually need. Remember that post on Seductive Nutrition ? I totally think we get sucked into that more than we realize.
I recently attended ALT Summit (thank you UT/NV Dairy Council!) and one of the speakers talked about setting our own goals and ideas of success. I love that. I think it relates to everything in life, not just business. One person may be mostly concerned with making loads of money, while another entrepreneur may be interested bettering the world, helping people lose weight like they did etc. I especially like this idea for health. Can you imagine if we stopped worrying about a size, weight, or look and instead said, “I’d like to be able to run a half marathon, I’d like to work out three times a week, I’d like to have more energy around 3:00 pm, feel better about myself, lower my cholesterol” and the list goes on. THEN, actually work towards those goals instead of unrealistic expectations like, “I want to look hot and find a new man, I want to have a perfect body, I want to look like Jillian Michaels”. Some people can totally make that happen, but for the rest of the world, when it doesn’t happen chances are you’ll slowly shrink back to your old ways. BOOOOOO.
I love the idea of finding healthier goals that are personalized. Forget about everyone else, their size etc (don’t you remember how nice it was to not analyze every piece of your body?) and focus on becoming happier and healthier. Eat better portion sizes, and decide to not let the negativity in your mind rule the day.
Are Corn Tortillas Gluten Free?
Most corn tortillas today are made from masa harina, a special type of corn flour that is naturally gluten free.
There is always a chance for cross contamination if the corn tortillas are processed in a facility that also processes flour products.
You should always check for a gluten-free label.
Which Salad Greens Are the Healthiest?
The darker green in color of the salad greens, usually the healthiest.
Spinach, red leaf lettuce, and romaine lettuce are among the healthiest salad greens.
Is Turkey a Lean Protein?
White meat of the turkey is the leanest choice, but even dark meat can be a good choice if you skip the skin.
A serving of turkey gives you about 25 grams of high-quality protein, as well as a good amount of B vitamins.
Skinny Turkey Taco Salad
Skinny Turkey Taco Salad
- 1/2 Lb lean ground turkey
- 1/3 Cup Verde Salsa or enchilada sauce if that's around
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1 Can Black Beans drained and cooked
For the rice
- 1 Cup Brown or White Rice
- 1 Lime Juiced
- 1 Teaspoon Chicken Bouillon Granules
- 1/4 Cup Diced Green Chiles
- 1 1/2 Cups of Water
For the dressing
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 Tablespoon Ranch Dressing seasoning
- 1/4 Cup Skim Milk
- 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Salsa Verde
- 1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until almost done, and add the salsa verde and pepper.
- Cook through and remove from the heat.
For The Dressing
- Place the avocado, ranch, milk, yogurt, salsa, and lime juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place in the fridge until ready to eat.
For the Tortilla Cups
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a large size (we use texas sized) muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the tortillas between two napkins and heat in the microwave for 20-40 seconds or until soft.
- Carefully place the tortillas in the pan and spray with more cooking spray.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until a hard shell has formed.
For the Rice
- Place the rice, lime juice, chicken bouillon, green chiles and water in a rice cooker or pot.
- Bring to a boil, place the lid on and turn down to a simmer.
- Allow to cook per package instructions.
- Place the rice, beans, turkey meat, lettuce and then dressing in each tortilla bowl and enjoy!
Other Healthy Recipes