Since we are celebrating grilled cheese all month long with Tillamook I couldn’t resist throwing out one more favorite grilled cheese, Honey Jack Grilled Cheese.
I never really loved tomatoes until I got pregnant with my second daughter, and now I find myself enjoying them more and more. I’m also generally hesitant about spicy foods, but I have to tell you, Tillamook’s PepperJack Cheese is wonderful. It has the perfect combination of cheesy goodness and spicy peppers. It’s not overwhelming so as to take away from the flavor, but instead it’s peppery bite goes perfectly with the gooey, melty cheese.
I realize that this sandwich looks almost too simple to be delicious, but I’m a pretty big believer that simplicity can many times be far more delicious than a complicated dish. You’ll just have to take my word for it and give this baby a try.
Is Grilled Cheese Unhealthy?
Grilled cheese sandwiches tend to be high in calories, saturated fat and (in some cases) sodium.
You can use healthy preparation tips to make your sandwich a slightly healthier choice.
Choose a lower fat cheese such as Swiss, and use lower calorie breads such as 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads, low-fat bread, or even whole wheat sandwich thins.
Are Tomatoes Good For You?
Tomatoes are high in antioxidants which have been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
Tomatoes are also a good source for Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and potassium.
Can You Reheat a Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Leftover grilled cheese can be heated up in the oven.
It will be crisp on the outside but warmed through on the inside.
Grilled Cheese can also be reheated in a skillet.
Heat the skillet to med. and add a little butter.
Put the sandwich in the skillet and loosely cover with a lid.
Heat till the cheese is melted again.
Honey Jack Grilled Cheese
Recipe by me
- 4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, (the heartier the better)
- 2 Large slices of Tillamook PepperJack Cheese
- 4 Slices of Roma Tomato
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Honey, depending on bread size.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Tillamook Butter
- Heat a skillet to medium heat.
- Place the cheese and two slices of tomato on each slice of bread.
- Drizzle evenly with the honey over everything.
- Top with the remaining bread slices and spread butter on each sandwich lid.
- Place butter side down on the hot skillet and immediately butter the other side.
- Cook until golden brown and flip carefully to the other side.
- Cook until golden and the cheese is thoroughly melted.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 408 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 58.6mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 5.4g Sugar: 6.3g Protein: 17.9g