I love Lemon Meringue, especially Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. How did I ever hate it growing up? I think it was mostly the lemon I didn’t like. I guess it was too tart for me. Now it’s a totally different story. I looooooove lemon. Especially lemon curd, which is what I chose to fill these puppies with. YUM. I tried to cut the fat on the cupcake so it didn’t have as tender a crumb, but it was still yummy. I’ll post the original recipe and let you decide how you want to do it.
I wondered how the meringue would go over instead of frosting, but it was actually perfect! As you know, I quite enjoy mixing things up so this was a fun twist on a cupcake. Woot woot!
Is Meringue Safe To Eat?
Meringue, which is made from whipped egg whites and sugar, is light, fluffy and delicious.
Uncooked meringues may contain salmonella bacteria, which cause salmonellosis.
Baked meringue is completely safe.
Baked meringues require no special safety measures.
Why Does Meringue Shrink?
Overbaking is usually what causes meringue to shrink.
Can Cupcakes Be Baked Without Paper Liners?
Cupcakes and muffins can be baked without paper liners.
Make sure you spray your cupcake pan with non stick spray and allow the cupcakes to cool before removing them from the pan.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 2½ cups / 6 dl flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) / 230 g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1½ cups / 3,6 dl sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 3 egg yolks, room temp.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (I left this out and used 2 tsp lemon zest instead)
- ¼ cup / 0,6 dl fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup / 1,2 dl whole milk
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 extra-large egg yolks, egg whites removed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
For the lemon curd
- In a pot over medium heat, add the lemon zest, juice, sugar and salt.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolks until pale in color, about 1 minute.
- Add a little of the lemon mixture to the eggs while whisking.
- Add in all of the juice and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Place the mixture back in the saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon and is thickened.
- Remove from heat and press through a mesh strainer over a clean bowl to remove any tiny pieces of cooked egg.
- Quickly stir in the butter.
- Fill a container or bowl with the curd and press plastic wrap over the top.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Store in an airtight container with plastic wrap for up to 2 weeks.
For the Cake
- Heat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl,using a whisk, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Set aside.
- In a standing mixer, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Add the yogurt, milks, and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Using a handheld mixer and a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until until thick and foamy, about 3 minutes.
- Fold into cupcake batter.
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, gently cut a hole out of the top of the cupcake and down through the center being careful to not go to the bottom of the cake.
- Gently fill the cupcake with a scoop of curd and spread a little more all over the top of the cupcake.
- Pipe on the meringue and using a kitchen torch, heat the meringue until golden.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tarter on high until soft peaks form.
- add sugar gradually while beating.
- beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fill a piping bag and pipe the meringue on top of the cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 822 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 21g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 256mg Sodium: 396mg Carbohydrates: 107g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 52g Protein: 21g