I love Lemon Meringue, especially Lemon Meringue Cupcakes. How did I ever hate it growing up? I think it was mostly the lemon I didn’t like. I guess it was too tart for me. Now it’s a totally different story. I looooooove lemon. Especially lemon curd, which is what I chose to fill these puppies with. YUM. I tried to cut the fat on the cupcake so it didn’t have as tender a crumb, but it was still yummy. I’ll post the original recipe and let you decide how you want to do it.
I wondered how the meringue would go over instead of frosting, but it was actually perfect! As you know, I quite enjoy mixing things up so this was a fun twist on a cupcake. Woot woot!
Is Meringue Safe To Eat?
Meringue, which is made from whipped egg whites and sugar, is light, fluffy and delicious.
Uncooked meringues may contain salmonella bacteria, which cause salmonellosis.
Baked meringue is completely safe.
Baked meringues require no special safety measures.
Why Does Meringue Shrink?
Overbaking is usually what causes meringue to shrink.
Can Cupcakes Be Baked Without Paper Liners?
Cupcakes and muffins can be baked without paper liners.
Make sure you spray your cupcake pan with non stick spray and allow the cupcakes to cool before removing them from the pan.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Cupcake recipe by The artful cupcake, by Marcianne Miller.
Lemon Curd by Over The Hill and on a Roll Meringue from us!
For the Cupcakes
- 2½ cups / 6 dl flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) / 230 g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1½ cups / 3,6 dl sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 3 egg yolks, room temp.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (I left this out and used 2 tsp lemon zest instead)
- ¼ cup / 0,6 dl fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup / 1,2 dl whole milk
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 extra-large egg yolks, egg whites removed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, gradually add the sugar, increasing the speed slightly until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks one at a time.
- Beat in the vanilla and lemon (and orange) zest.
- Gradually beat in the lemon juice on low speed (the batter will appear curdled at this point, but will smooth out after you all the dry ingredients).
- Beat in the the dry ingredients alternating with the milk and mix well.
- Fill the muffin cups almost to the top and bake in 350°F (180°C) for 18-20 minutes.
- Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith.
- Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.
- Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt.
- Mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 2 quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes),*mine always takes 15* stirring constantly.
- The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer.
- Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.
- Beat egg whites with salt and tarter on high until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar gradually while beating.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
Putting it Together
- Use a piping bag with a filling tip or just cut a small hole in the cupcake.
- Fill with meringue until it comes out the top.
- Spread a little excess over the top of the cupcake and set aside.
- Fill a pastry bag or ziploc with meringue and decorate each top.
- Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 min.
Yield: 1 recipe, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 13106 Calories
- Total Fat: 313.6g
- Cholesterol: 1503.6mg
- Carbohydrates: 2422.7g
- Fiber: 41.4g
- Sugar: 1396.1g
- Protein: 185.4g