Obsessed with these lemon raspberry donuts and they only took 5 minutes to make!! There’s something so good about the combination!
So, this is a recipe from last month, but it has taken a while for me to get it up because there have been so many yummy recipes that I just didn’t want to move out of the way. Anyway, the girls have been sooooo excited about the movie, Frozen as I’m sure every girl has, and as we actually think it’s a pretty darn cute movie too we decided to get back to our kid like selves and do something totally fun for the girls and these lemon raspberry donuts were definitely the highlight of the evening. Like, for real. They are in serious competition for our favorite donut with strawberry shortcake donuts.
I know this may seem quite silly and not like anything cool, but we had such a fun evening totally not being adults. We surprised the girls by grabbing dinner from one of their favorite places, Cafe Rio where one loves the quesadillas and the other only wants a side a pork, brought it home to where Cade had set up an indoors picnic for us complete with a favorite movie. We all sat on our family room floor on blankets and pillows, chowing down on dinner we didn’t have to cook and then just as Olaf was making everyone giggle I busted out the donuts.
And now I’m kicking myself because if you follow on facebook you know I made the mistake of editing photos late at night and then all I wanted to do was fry up another batch and now here I am writing the post late at night and drooling over these lemon sugar, fried, deliciously stuffed with raspberry filling donuts, oh golly I need another.
Are Donuts Baked or Fried?
Yeast donuts are deep fried.
Cake donuts can be either baked or fried.
How Do You Zest a Lemon?
Wash and scrub the outside of the citrus fruit very well.
Remove the zest (leaving the white, bitter pith behind) with a lemon zester or a microplane.
A zester will give you long thin strands while a microplane will give you small bits of zest.
You can also zest a lemon using the smallest grate of a cheese grater.
How Long Will Donuts Keep?
Properly stored, freshly cooked donuts (not cream-filled) will last for about 1 to 2 days at normal room temperature; cream-filled donuts should be stored in the refrigerator.
Lemon Raspberry Donuts
Lemon Raspberry Donuts
- 1 package Pillsbury Biscuits, honey butter flavor, 8 pk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of one large lemon
- 1 cup raspberries, smashed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Oil for frying
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat, filled 1/3 up with peanut or canola oil.
- Separate each biscuit, then separate the halves.
- Place 2-4 biscuits at a time in the oil, making sure there is plenty of room for frying.
- With a metal slotted spoon or spider continuously flip the donuts until golden on each side.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sugar and lemon in one bowl, and the teaspoon of sugar with the raspberries in another bowl.
- Place the raspberries into a condiments bottle or pastry bag with a small, pointed tip.
- Press into the donut and fill with the raspberry filling. Sometimes I use a sharp knife to start the hole.
- Roll in the bowl with the lemon sugar and serve immediately!