This lemon yogurt cake was so moist and I looooooved that light lemon flavor. Sometimes a lemon cake will have too much lemon which makes the whole thing tangy and other times not enough and you don’t get that bright, fresh flavor.
You’re going to start off by making the loaf cake and just a reminder, this recipe does in fact come from Ina Garten so in other words, it’s perfection. I’ve never made a single recipe from her and had it fail. Which isn’t true for another high powered women who’s recipes are all over the internet. But we will leave that for another day. Just kidding, Martha’s recipes do turn out just not always like Ina’s. Anyway, the cake is so easy and the key to any cake is to not over mix. Plus this one is in a loaf pan which I feel that loaf cakes turn out perfectly every time unlike round cakes which sometimes fall.
After making the cake you’ll pour over a delicious lemon simple syrup which soaks all the way through the cake. It’s wonderful and really adds that brightness without being too harsh. Next up is a really easy glaze that you can’t help but want to bend over backwards with your mouth wide open while someone is pouring it onto the cake. Oh, you don’t? Well I did. Watching Cade pour that luscious glaze made me want to lick the whole bowl clean!
Isn’t that just the prettiest? I’d eat it. I’d eat it in the closet where the kids can’t find me. Sorry kids, Mommy needs 5 minutes of peace.
But then you can also add berries and oh mama is that good! We had strawberries on hand this time, but years ago when we first posted the recipe (you can see the old photos at the bottom of the post for a good laugh at our photography) we served it up with blackberries which were smashed slightly with a touch of sugar. So yum!
Is Greek Yogurt Healthier Than Regular Yogurt?
Plain Greek yogurt has less sugar and more protein than regular yogurt.
But, regular yogurt has more calcium.
Are Lemons Good For You?
Lemons are a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and vitamin C.
Lemon juice also helps in cleaning the liver leading to better digestive health.
Can Cake Be Frozen?
You can freeze cake for up to 3 months.
Let the cake cool and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil, or place in a heavy duty freezer bag and freeze.
Lemon Yogurt Cake
Lemon Yogurt Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar divided
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Grease and flour the pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear.
- Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan.
- While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.
- For the glaze
- Combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.