The world is currently obsessing over those huge, loaded sundaes and we can totally get on board. Check out our Loaded Salted Pretzel Reese’s Sundae!
This post is not for me. Not even a little. This post is entirely for Cade and his big ice cream loving heart. Well, that’s not true because like any good marriage a little bit of me is in this “recipe”. I love sweet and salty and especially peanut butter, hello Reese’s.
I know someone may be wondering why we are even posting how we built our Sundae the other night, but here’s why we do this. When you’re chatting it up with a friend they will occasionally mention something like, “have you ever tried chicken rolled in salt and vinegar chips?” as our friend Kara did the other night and yes we plan on trying that.
It’s two ingredients, but two I had never put together so while simple it was a great idea to try. Our Loaded Salted Pretzel Reese’s Sundae is the same situation. So, pull up a seat and let’s dig in!
First, start by dipping the rim, or spreading with a spoon, all of that dulce de leche.
What is Dulce de Leche?
Dulce de leche is a confection prepared by slowly heating sweetened milk to create a substance that derives its flavor from the Maillard reaction, also changing color, with an appearance and flavor similar to caramel.
Next, a layer of melted chocolate. And finally all of that sweet and salty mix so that as you’re eating you can scrape up extra goodness. We used Tillamook ice cream as we just got back from a family reunion in Seaside, Oregon and of course we had to make our traditional stop at Tillamook.
The factory tour never gets old to me. When I was little you could actually watch them stir the big tubs of milk as it turned into curds and cheese, but clearly things are modernized now.
What are Cheese Curds?
Cheese curds are the moist pieces of curdled milk either eaten alone as a snack, or used for other things.
You can still watch the packaging happen and then head down for lunch and ice cream. We started off with their deep fried cheese curds. I posted the video on instagram but here it is again. They are an absolute must!
As is the ice cream. Obviously. It’s all kinds of creamy deliciousness and you cannot live without trying it.
This isn’t a sponsored post. We just love Tillamook and what they are doing in the world of dairy. It’s about real people/farmers making real dairy and you can’t ask for more than that.
How Long Will Ice Cream Keep?
Unopened ice cream will keep for 2-3 months.
Once it has been opened, it should be eaten within 1-2 months.
Loaded Salted Pretzel Reese’s Sundae
Loaded Salted Pretzel Reese's Sundae
- 1 Sundae Dish
- 3 Tablespoons Dulce De Leche
- 3 Tablespoons Chocolate Chips melted
- 1 Cup Reese's Pretzel Mix found in the candy section of the store.
- 1/4 Cup Reese's Peanut Butter Chips
- 2 Tablespoons Mini Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Caramel Sauce
- Hot Fudge Sauce
- In a small bowl, toss together the pretzel mix, peanut butter chips and mini chocolate chips.
- Spread the dulce de lecher around the outside lip of the sundae glass followed by the melted chocolate.
- Scooping the pretzel mix into the palm of your hand and gently press it into the melted chocolate, repeating around the entire lip.
- Fill the dish with ice cream, drizzle with hot fudge and caramel and sprinkle with a little extra pretzel mix and sea salt.
- As you're eating scoop down the sides to enjoy it as well.