This perfect Loaded Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato is the ultimate comfort food. A satisfying family-favorite that will make its way to your table in no time.
Breaking news: I am here to spread the word on this perfectly delicious stuffed sweet potato. I am convinced that you could open a dictionary to the word “comforting” and a photograph of this Loaded Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato would pop up. There is nothing quite like the warm comfort of a flavorful chili accompanied by a potato.
Hello again, friends! My name is Brenda from The Peppery Skillet yet again, here to share my favorite Loaded Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe with you all. If you’re in the mood to browse through photos that will make your mouth water, follow along on my Instagram or Facebook pages – let’s be friends!
DON’T FEEL INTIMIDATED
The idea of making chili may seem daunting simply because of the length of the recipe card. Do not fret! It truly is quite simple. The thing with this turkey chili is that we need a variety of spices to make it extremely flavorful without having to keep it cooking for an unreasonable amount of time.
It’s as simple as doing some quick preparation, browning the turkey, then tossing almost all of the ingredients into the pot to marry for about the length of time it takes the potatoes to soften in the oven. Don’t overthink it!
To save some time, you can bake your potatoes and make the turkey chili at the same time. Here is the particular order I would do it in:
1) Preheat the oven. Make the potato foil packets according to instruction. Place potatoes in oven.
2) Chop the onions and bell peppers.
3) Begin the process of making the turkey chili (veggies sautéed, add turkey, crumble + cook, add other ingredients)
4) Follow the rest of the instructions as noted!
Once all of the ingredients are in the pot and combined well, cover it with a lid and simmer on low heat for at least an hour.
You could also opt to make Instant Pot Turkey Chili ahead of time and use that to fill your potatoes instead.
If this meal makes you curious about what other comfort foods we have up our sleeve, be sure to check out this incredible Shrimp Alfredo. It’s a huge hit in my house, and I have to keep myself from eating all of the pasta when I make it for dinner!
Or a classic meatloaf recipe for more comfort food!
Looking for more turkey recipes?
Loaded Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato
Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato
For the Turkey Chili:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sweet potatoes, medium, or russet potatoes
- 1 lb ground turkey, lean
- 15 oz tomatoes, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, minced, 2 cloves
- 1/3 onion, red, diced
- 1/3 onion, yellow, diced
- ½ bell pepper, red, diced
- ½ bell pepper, green, diced
- ½ cup black beans
- 15 oz kidney beans, dark red
- ¼ cup chicken broth, low sodium
All the Spices:
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ¼ tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and scrub potatoes, poke holes in each of them using a fork, and place on a square of foil each with 1 tsp olive oil. Bake for one hour, or until soft in the center.
- In large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onions and cook until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add minced garlic and sauté for one minute. Add turkey and crumble into fine pieces. Sauté until no longer pink (about 4-7 minutes).
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, all spices, beans, and bell peppers to the pot. Mix until well combined. Cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour (you can save time by baking the potatoes and cooking the chili simultaneously).
- Remove potatoes from the oven and poke with a butter knife to check if the middle is baked through. Slice each down the middle, and add large spoonful’s of chili. Top with desired toppings (diced red onion, shredded cheese, sour cream). Serve immediately and enjoy!
- It took my medium-sized potatoes about an hour to finish baking to the point where I was able to put a butter knife straight through the center and it was soft the whole way through.